My first broody hen and I think I want to give her some eggs to hatch - is my plan OK?

So, short update here. Yesterday was the 3rd full day since she's last gotten off the nest - and that was me taking her off and putting her in the run. My plan today is to take her off her nest, but keep her in her pen area and make sure she sees the food and water. She should be used to that waterer and feeder, but my thought is to show it to her again today and thinking she'll be thirsty and hungry enough to eat and drink. If all goes as planned, she'd be reminded where she can easily get feed and water, and she'd also get some. She's been under camera watch 24/7 and I leveled the feed out as Aart suggested as well as marked the line on the water - neither of which have been touched. Certainly not panicked that she hasn't gotten up, but at the same time, a lot of the consensus (here and in Storey's guide) seems to be you may need to help them help themselves occasionally. I think this seems like a safe move and not overly disruptive to her.

She is not eating because she does not have food and water available or does not know about them, she is not eating as she is in an almost hibernation state.

I would let her out into the run with the other chickens. SHE knows where the food and water is there. She will be almost unable to stand when you first take her out, your heart will drop and think she is dying, (and be very careful, taking her out as sometimes they stick an egg up under the wings.)

Not to worry though, she will puff up, wake up, and go out into the run for a dust bath, to eat and drink, and terrorize the layers. She REALLY needs that relationship to be maintained that she is part of the flock. Having food and water inside the mini coop will defeat this. To me, this is a case of trying to be kind, and interfering with the natural state of affairs.

Just do this at a time you can either spend 30 minutes down there, or set a timer to come back in 15-20 minutes. As getting her back on the right nest, if the most tricky part. Once she is on the eggs, she will resume her trance. If you do this every 3rd day she will be fine. She has put on fat, prior to going broody, and does not need the same amount of food as an active layer hen.

However, if none of the eggs hatch - well then you need to break the broody, but you are a long way from that.

For the success of the broody hen bringing her chicks into the flock this is important, I think.

Mrs K

So, short update here. Yesterday was the 3rd full day since she's last gotten off the nest - and that was me taking her off and putting her in the run. My plan today is to take her off her nest, but keep her in her pen area and make sure she sees the food and water. She should be used to that waterer and feeder, but my thought is to show it to her again today and thinking she'll be thirsty and hungry enough to eat and drink. If all goes as planned, she'd be reminded where she can easily get feed and water, and she'd also get some. She's been under camera watch 24/7 and I leveled the feed out as Aart suggested as well as marked the line on the water - neither of which have been touched. Certainly not panicked that she hasn't gotten up, but at the same time, a lot of the consensus (here and in Storey's guide) seems to be you may need to help them help themselves occasionally. I think this seems like a safe move and not overly disruptive to her.
Best of cLuck Chad!

I had some time about mid-afternoon today, so I took the broody girl out into the run. She did really well as always. Growled at everyone, went to the bathroom multiple times, and ate and preened again. All total, was probably 35 minutes in the run or so. What's nice is I can just hang out in the coop and I block off the door to her pen and wait for her. She came in, I opened her pen door and she went in and got back on her eggs.

I've attached the latest picture of her nest. The egg in the upper left corner, has she decided to kick that one aside? I didn't remove it, or touch any of them, just left them how she had them. She's big enough to cover them all - I think even that corner one was covered when I picked her up, but can't be completely sure. I thought I'd wait until next time and see if it was still kicked out before removing?
eggs_day_6.jpg

I think you were wise to leave it, this time. Next time, pick it up, give just the tiniest of shakes, if it is sloshy, it is a no go. You might be able to check it with a flashlight, but not the dark brown eggs, or at least, I never have luck with candling them.

It is so sweet when she goes back in and settles right down.

MRs K

Well, we've reached Day 19 today - everything seems on track. A couple days ago, I installed some inexpensive "under counter led lights" under the droppings board and in her pen area. I have the lights set on low, and they are connected to a Wyse Smart plug. If we get some little hatchlings, I plan to turn on the lights after a day or so. This will give some light in the pen area so the chicks and mom can see. My thought is to set the timer to Sunrise/Sunset to mimic the daylight outside. For now, they are off so she has the same quiet, dark space as she's always had for the last three weeks.

Our weather here is touching right at 90 yesterday, today and again tomorrow. On Friday (Day 21) it will drop to 80. In the coop that is fully shaded, it's been getting about up to 80. Hopefully, that's not too stressful for her. I know others have much warmer weather than what I have here and all has been well. The last time she was off the nest was when I took her out on Monday late afternoon. She ate from my hand really well, drank, fluffed about, growled, preened, and then went back to her nest. She literally has not turned around from the last time she went in. Having that motion detecting camera on her has been enlightening. She just doesn't leave that nest unless I take her off.
maple_day_17.jpg

My current thought is to now just let her be for these last few days? The only thought I had was maybe take her out one last time today, and today only - just so that she could get a drink since we've had the warmer weather. But, from the research I've seen, it's not uncommon for them to sit tight from about day 18 on. I'm leaning towards leaving her be.

I have some chick starter feed, chick feeders and waterers at the ready. I have her feed dish and water up at her height. I cleaned out all the old shavings in the pen area and put down fresh ones in preparation. I don't have an incubator right now. I've considered ordering one and leaving it in the box, only opening it in case things really went off the rails. Thoughts on that?

Also, it seems that she'll leave her brooding nest with any chicks that might hatch about a day or so after they're done hatching. Should I have a second nesting area/box ready for her at the other end of the pen that she can move to, or just let her pick a spot and make her own space in the shavings? I lightly covered the floor with shavings, so it's not super deep.

Other than that, just waiting it out.
eggs_day_17.jpg

Should I have a second nesting area/box ready for her at the other end of the pen that she can move to, or just let her pick a spot and make her own space in the shavings?
Nah, she'll just use the nest she hatched in...or she might bring them out to the floor.

Has she used the waterer and feed in the pen?
Do you have chick accessible waterer and feeder in the pen?

Nah, she'll just use the nest she hatched in...or she might bring them out to the floor.

Has she used the waterer and feed in the pen?
Do you have chick accessible waterer and feeder in the pen?
No, she’s never used the water or feed this whole time. I marked the water and leveled the feed and neither were ever touched. I did freshen the water each day. I guess, technically, she did take a couple nibbles of the feed, but that was on her way back in from when I took her out to the run to give her a break. It was a nibble in passing by to her nest. Never got off the nest to access them.

I have not put the chick feed and water in there yet. I guess I could, I was just waiting until I had a visual on any chicks.

No matter how well you make a fresh nest, mine have never liked mine and made her own.

I do agree with, just leave her alone. You can go in and listen carefully for some peeping. Do resist trying to get a peak or a count. I would not do an incubator it is too late for them. Did you scope out any live chicks? Just in case nothing hatched, but that is a worse case scenario.

Once mine hatch, I would put some water and feed 24 hours later. That is often when you get a good look. She will be interested and walk over and call the chicks to eat and drink. At this time I would open the gate. It might be a day or two before she takes them out but I am a believer in letting her direct the flock introductions.

If they hatch, and fluff up, they generally are much healthier as they will get a lot more exercise and fresh air than broody box.

This the most exciting part.

Back
Top Bottom