My first broody hen and I think I want to give her some eggs to hatch - is my plan OK?

7 out of 10 is a very good hatch! 70% Anything above 50% is good.

Early in this adventure there was an egg that seemed to be cast aside - did that egg hatch?

I think you handled everything right! Once mine leaves the nest, they are done brooding. I think it is the movement underneath them that seems to change the trance into the active lets take care of the living chicks broody aspect.

At this point, I would no longer confine her. I would let her make the choice when she wants to take them out to the layer flock. At this time I would flip the layers over to chick starter with oyster shell on the side. A lot of people get flock raiser, and that is another option, I just can't always get it.

A very exciting journey - and you are going to find nothing is more fun than a hen with chicks - wait till she teaches them to hunt grasshoppers! it is a hoot.

I really believe, that while it is a bit more risky letting a hen do it her way, I do think that the chicks that live are much more healthy and get more exercise than a broody box chick.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom