Got my first pip today doing dry hatch. Method

IMG_3825.JPG
Closer!

View attachment 1164911 View attachment 1164910 Three chicks hatched overnight. I'll try to take better pictures in awhile.

When should I move them out? The info said day 23, but these girls hatched on day 20. Technically today is day 21. I'm thinking that I should move them tomorrow to the brooder.

I move mine out to the brooder after they have dried and get a bit active to keep them from running into/disturbing the other hatchlings. I'd say I move mine at about 6-8 hours after completely out of shell. Some may think that is a bit early.

Congrats on the babies!! :celebrate

Thank you. I haven't seen any other pips and these chicks are still fairly docile so I will wait a bit longer. Tonight at 10pm will be 24 hours for the first darker feathered chick. I don't know when the others popped out but definitely after the first one.

:clapGood job!!
I love all aspects of the hatching.... watching the little one zip... waking up in the morning to new little peepers scurrying about the bator... coming home from work to find even more of the little guys.... (I think I might be addicted, not sure what I will do all winter now that momma guinea has stopped laying:barnie) I might go into withdrawl

I do not let them stay in longer than 24 hours. If they are dry and you do not see more pips, then move the now. No good reason for them to stay in if there are no other chicks hatching now.

When you read that chicks can go 3 days without food and water, that is not saying that you need to wait that long.

I have had them die after 24 hours in the incubator. Some cannot go 3 days without water and food

IMG_3832.JPG
I went ahead and moved the three to the outside brooder. They are happily under the electric hen. I showed them the water and food and closed them up to enjoy their new space.

The humidity only went down from 62 to 60% and the temps have stayed the same. I left the shells inside and only quickly snatched up the babies.

Attachments

• IMG_3833.JPG
    IMG_3833.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3834.JPG
    IMG_3834.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom