bobbieschicks

Chicken Tender
8 Years
Jun 24, 2011
King George, VA
My Coop
My Coop
IMG_3817.JPG
i purchased 12 Blue/Black/Splash Ameraucana shipped eggs and by the time I finally got them from my post office they were four days past "delivery date."

None were broken so I decided to go ahead and set them and try the dry hatch method. The eggs are dark blue and difficult to candle, but I determined one was a definite dud on day 7. That got me down to 11 eggs.

On day 14 I could only see a few that had movement and the others were dark masses, so I took a chance and went into lockdown with all 11 eggs.

This morning (day 20) I noticed one egg had pipped. It's pipped a little more since 7am and the chick is still chirping. Hoping to get several more chicks out of this clutch, but I have no idea how many were actually viable at lockdown.

Congrats! Have you boosted the humidity for lockdown?

I use the dry hatch method too - well, mostly. My humidity needs to be at around 30%, so during the summer I don't need to add any water to keep it there. This time of year I do, so I add some.

IMG_3818.JPG

Yes. I'm trying to keep it above 60% but it's really hard with both plugs out. Would it be okay to put the plugs in place?

I noticed another egg now with a tiny pip as well. How long between pip and zip? The first chick has made a small amount of progress but hasn't exited its shell yet. Seems I remember it could take a long time and still be okay.

I don't hold out much hope for these eggs after the delay in getting them and who knows what conditions they were kept in at the post office.

Finished building my grow out coop and pen today and the 4 week old White Leghorns are inside there freeing up the brooder for any chicks that may hatch.

View attachment 1164359

Yes. I'm trying to keep it above 60% but it's really hard with both plugs out. Would it be okay to put the plugs in place?

I noticed another egg now with a tiny pip as well. How long between pip and zip? The first chick has made a small amount of progress but hasn't exited its shell yet. Seems I remember it could take a long time and still be okay.

I don't hold out much hope for these eggs after the delay in getting them and who knows what conditions they were kept in at the post office.

Finished building my grow out coop and pen today and the 4 week old White Leghorns are inside there freeing up the brooder for any chicks that may hatch.
Don't put the plugs back in since ventilation is very important at the this point. 60% will be fine and the humidity will go up as each chick hatches. You will have chicks hatch since you see pips! Pips are always good news at this point

Okay. I'll leave the plugs out and be patient.

Dry hatch is a way of using less humdity/water at the start of the incubation and increasing it only at lockdown. If you do a search of "dry hatch method" on BYC you can find the article.

I will definitely post any pictures and am hoping for more chicks.

IMG_3822.JPG IMG_3823.JPG IMG_3824.JPG
The pips are bigger now! I'm not sure but I thought I saw another egg rocking.

My original pip chick might hatch overnight since she's broken through a significant portion of her shell.

Having to fight the urge to just stand there with the flashlight all night long. It's just so cool to watch.

Back
Top Bottom