Got my goslings today!

your ducks are so cute!! congrats new duck mom :) and im so new to all this, i just found out what packing peanuts were yesterday on byc and it made me a little sad. what do people do with them? i mean, go ahead and eat them or give them away, but at least respect them enough to call them chickens, not pieces of foam!! lol poor little guys got it rough!!!

Yes. A whole bunch of little production red roo chicks I think.

Pretty babies! So what are you going to do with the baby roos?
I have to agree with Brahmamomma they are too cute to be called "peanuts"
smile.png

P. Sue

Pretty babies! So what are you going to do with the baby roos?
I have to agree with Brahmamomma they are too cute to be called "peanuts"
smile.png

P. Sue

I think peanuts is a cute name for them, lol. Better than extra males for warmth. They are going to their new home here in a few hours.

Be aware that goslings double in size weekly. They are also very messy, as are ducklings. Have fun.........Pop

Thanks. That's why I hurried and found a new home for the peanuts. They were already looking a bit crowded. I have a bigger brooder ready for the goslings once they are too big and might squish my call ducklings, but for right now it's easier to have them together and not have to mess with extra heat lamps. In a few days my quail will be weaned off his heat though, and the goosies will get their own home.
And are you sure it's weekly? Cause I could swear they are already at least an inch taller than yesterday, lol.

Super cute: Bet opening that box was better than Christmas!

Oh, and everyone is right about the growth rate. You will REALLY notice it right around the third week when they go into hyper-growth. My oldest goslings are 5 1/2 weeks old and a bit more than half the size of their parents right now.
They actually didn't seem to become very messy until they were about two weeks old. From there, the poop factor became exponential
ep.gif
. I had to upgrade their brooder size three times prior to putting them in the juvenile area outside.

If you give them some grit and cut up Romaine lettuce they will attack it like a pack of Velociraptors, but nice non-meat eating ones.
big_smile.png
They are really much more affectionate than any other poultry or fowl I've raised.

Have fun with them!

Back
Top Bottom