Got my Great Pyrenees today!

Really cool, yeah so coons have tried to come a couple of times so far too scared of vicious dogs. I am hoping they will learn lesson that something bigger and higher in the food chain lives where the birds are. Coyotes and foxes stopped long time ago after an example was made by dogs. But coons are sneakky going over trees and keeping out of reach lol But they dont have time to start ripping cause the dogs hear. I am hoping the guineas help a lot because of their alarm noise.

I can't express how smart it was for you guys do get LPDs. My brother and sister-in-law have been terrorized by coyotes in the past few months. First it was their rooster, then their favorite hen, and a few days ago their 11 year old dachshund.

I can't express how smart it was for you guys do get LPDs. My brother and sister-in-law have been terrorized by coyotes in the past few months. First it was their rooster, then their favorite hen, and a few days ago their 11 year old dachshund.
Oh, my sympathies to them.

I wish that I could claim some wise foresight in the matter, but my experience is similar to your brother’s, minus the dachshund.

We had a free range flock of 16 chickens last year. All of the sudden last fall a large fox and/or a stray dog discovered our chickens. We lost 10 of them: 4 over the course of several weeks and then 6 on a single day. So we put the 6 survivors in a secure run, but after free range they did not like it and we didn’t like keeping them confined.

The dogs were the best solution we could think of to be able to free range them again. So far they are working well, although we are still waiting for the adolescent rebellion phase.

Back
Top Bottom