Got my new Hova-Bator Genesis today!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by littlebanty, Mar 11, 2008.

1. littlebanty

littlebanty Chillin' With My Peeps

I just plugged it in to get running:)! The eggs I am hatching are Muscovy X Pekin. So how long should they be in the bator for and when should I stop turning them? I know Muscovy eggs hatch in about 35 days and Pekin sooner. So what about the cross? I will be putting them in as soon as the incubator is ready. And I have read that you arent supposed to open the bator during the incubation...But I will still need to fill the water on the bottom? SO is that a problem?

2. K&H Chicken Farm

K&H Chicken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    I am soooo still waiting for mine to get here. Any day now....I hope.[​IMG]

3. littlebanty

K&H Chicken Farm :

I am soooo still waiting for mine to get here. Any day now....I hope.[​IMG]

Its a nice incubator. I have never incubated before so I hope everything goes good.​

4. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Wow, trying not to be envious. Congrats on the new bator

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Your fun is just beginning! [​IMG]

6. littlebanty

I cant wait to see what happends. [​IMG]

7. Kitsune

Kitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Manchester - England
    If you have no auto turner in there you'll have to open it to turn the eggs, just fill the water then [​IMG] you also need to open it to let fresh air in!

8. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes they work pretty nicely, we have 2 of them we been messing around with for awhile from last year.

I know the one we had to up the dip switch on ,as the temp was below on the factory setting, double check yours, but they do work nice.

[​IMG]

these do not need to be opened to let fresh air in, the fan pulls fresh air in through openings in the bator..Even still air bators dont need to be opened for air.

enjoy your bator they are fun..

Charlie

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  9. littlebanty

Quote:How often do I need to open it to let fresh air in? Is when I turn them, candle them, and adding water fine? I left it set at 100 degrees. And I did find where Muscovy cross ducks are 32 day hatch. I think it should be at 99.5. .5 shouldnt make too much of a difference....should it?

10. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    Let us know how it goes!! Did you know that any duck crossed with a muscovey will result in a sterile baby? I had different ducks mixed together and found that out so I am getting rid of my muscovey hen. That type of cross is like a donkey and horse. You get the mule but they cant reproduce. That is nice for people who dont want thier duck hatching ducklings. Jenn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by