Got my new trio!! My first game chickens. What do I have here?

GameCockRookie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 16, 2012
Im so happy, I have been waiting for weeks for them! The guy told me they are Clerets but my pullets dont look alike. Can yall help me? They are all 5 and 6 months old.

They are Claret Games which are pit games [fighting cocks]. Beautiful birds, good foragers, great broodies but not good "pet" chickens.

They are awesome pet chickens (I raise games myself). Greatest mothers you will ever have and they go broody frequently. They lay medium sized eggs and are average layers. If you get another rooster problems will occur and you will have to pen each rooster up separately. Roosters do not flog any where as much or frequently as birds of other breeds.

Clarets throw different shades of the same color and the yellow legged one with the streaks could be part hatch a lot of different strains of birds have that color marking.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help. They are turning out to be nice pets. They were not used to human contact when I first got them but I catch them one by one everyday and hold them. They come up to my five year old and I now that they know we are not trying to hurt them. I like them A LOT and want to now get a grey trio. I will have to wait because Im in the city and dont want to disturb people with two roosters. Im working on that now.

When will they start to lay? They are about 7 or 8 months right now.

What is flog??

When will they start to lay? They are about 7 or 8 months right now.

What is flog??
They are very pretty birds!

In theory they should be laying anytime now, unless the shortened days will hold them off until Spring.

Flog: this is where a rooster challenges you and will jump up and claw or flail you with his spurs and wings. Sometimes its a minor show and sometimes it can get really nasty and he will do serious damage.

I have a friend that had a roo that was decent until one day she bent over to pick up something or do the feed and he rushed up and flogged her. A spur slashed the bridge of her nose and cheek below her eye. She could have been blinded if she wasn't wearing glasses.

My point is that you will need to practice due diligence with your little one and teach them to be mindful of what roos can do because a 5 year-old's head is about the level of where a roo could jump to if he were in the mind to fight.

Last edited:
It is also very common to dull the spurs on the roos. Also Roosters in game chickens are not as willing to flog as roosters of other breeds, but they do flog especially during molt. Recommended to never handle during molt.

Back
Top Bottom