Got my very first egg!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mom23chicklets, Aug 23, 2007.

1. mom23chicklets

mom23chicklets Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2007
    CT
    My one Ameraucana (4 months +), which now I know for sure is an EE after seeing her egg, had a wonderful gift waiting for us when we came back from our overnight trip to Rhode Island. I found a beautiful small perfect greenish egg with speckles in the nest box!

She skipped the next day, but yesterday . . . (this is the really cool part!), I just had a feeling she was going to lay again. She went into the coop and was picking up pieces of pine shavings and throwing them around her. She would sit in the nest of shavings that she made, with her tail up pretty high.

I grabbed my son who I call the Chicken Whisperer (I swear I think he might love these chickens even more than I love them) and we squatted in the coop quietly and waited. It was kinda dark and after about 10 minutes, the chicken stood up a little. We couldn't tell if it was just her soft downy feathers we saw below her belly or an egg. We opened the shed door and sure enough it was her second egg! She didn't sqawk like I expected after reading what other chickens did after laying. She was quiet and calm, and left the nest to go back into the run.

I'm amazed at the difference in egg size from the first to the second. Both are still tiny but the second is much bigger in comparison. The eggs are a sage green. I think I'll have to change her name to Martha because the egg color just looks like a Martha Stewart color!

Another interesting thing to share is that this pullet is the least friendly out of all my chickens. But then I didn't raise her from Day 2. I bought her when she was already almost a month old. Anyway, she started getting much more vocal and friendly as she got closer to laying. And now she squats when I go to pet her.

It's wonderful finding the sage green eggs. It's also torture waiting for my other chickens to begin laying because they are a good month younger than the EE!

Ruth

2. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Yay! That is so wonderful! Love them green eggs!

3. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Aw, congrats!

Our egg lady must have a few EE's, because some of her eggs are lovely shades of green and blue. Now I know what everyone is talking about. They are so pretty!

Glad your girl is laying those beautiful eggs!

trish

4. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Congratualtions! I got my first EE egg the other day and I was so excited. A beautiful bluish/green soooooo pretty. I want more EE's! They look so nice in the egg carton with the others!

5. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    YAY PATTIE! (or should i say martha?) lucky you! how big were her eggs?

6. mom23chicklets

mom23chicklets Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2007
    CT
    The first one was about an inch and 3/4 long. Second and third, I'm guessing are closer to 2 1/2 inches long. Took a picture and measured the first but not the others. One of these days I'll learn to post pics![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by