Got new chicks, Should I put them in a brooder or with a broody hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KikiDude24, Dec 22, 2012.

1. KikiDude24

KikiDude24 New Egg

Nov 10, 2012
    Ok, So we just got new chicks, Our chickens live in our heated barn, should I keep them in the house, or should i put them with a brrody hen? Please respond! This is our fist hatch

2. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Does the hen already have eggs under her? How long has she been sitting? How old are the chicks?

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Give us a little more information - thanks.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If you have a broody hen that is sitting/has been sitting for awhile you can give her the chicks, yes. But she needs to have been sitting on eggs for 2-3 weeks (preferably) and if she's been sitting on fertile eggs it would be better to wait until they've hatched before you give her more chicks. Otherwise she may abandon the eggs she was brooding to focus on the chicks.

Giving chicks to a broody is easier done in the evening when she's sleepy. If she's been sitting on fake/infertile eggs remove the eggs when giving her the chicks. Keep an eye on her in the morning to see what she does when she finds she has chicks. A good broody will adopt them no problem.

If you don't have a broody ready it would be better to raise them yourself. Non-broody hens will most likely be very aggressive towards the chicks and could possibly kill them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by