Got our chicks! Finally! [[pics + short vid added]]

WallTenters

Songster
9 Years
Feb 16, 2010
Sweet Home, OR
27 healthy happy chicks, all alive and well! We were really nervous opening the box, expecting to find several dead (been reading too many horror stories!) but no, all are very active and look great. They all ate and drank. They ate a ton, actually, all their crops are full to the brim. Put a little of the electrolyte in with them, don't know if they need it, but we want to do this by the book!

Tried to take photos but the lighting was terrible and my camera is a pos. Will try again tomorrow afternoon in the natural lighting.

11 RIR (hopefully pullets, as that's what was ordered), 15 Dominiques (9 pullets it seems), and a super cute fuzzy topped white crested black polish cockerel. He's the cutest of the bunch!

Most of the dominiques will go, but there is a nice rooster and a few nice hens in the bunch. One of the little Dominique hens is so tiny! She's half the size of the larger chicks, her little legs seem frail! I really like one of the little roos, he's got such nice posture. There are four hens that look very promising at this point, a bit lighter, all with good posture and correct wing carriage. Of course, all of that could change as the weeks go by! My DH was chiding me for culling them at three days old already
smile.png

All the RIRs will go to my mom's, they'll be loved as egg layers all the day long day.

The polish roo will probably be a nice ornament, he's so cute, we can't help but love him!

Last edited:
Group Photo:
chicks4.jpg

My favorite little Dominique cockerel (so far, anyway
smile.png
)

chicks1.jpg

The mean little dark RIR
chicks2.jpg

Our fluffy head little roo
smile.png

chicks3.jpg