Got our nipples, how do they learn to use them?

truebluexf

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
I tried putting them up to the nipples, but I think that just ticked them off LOL! How will they learn to use them? I tried pushing it several times to get their attention. I can't wait to be free of nasty water dishes!

Chicken Nipples!!!

36979_img_5105.jpg

But in response to your question: they'll eventually figure it out. If you want to grease the wheels a little, you can try putting something peck-worty on the nipples, or painting hte area around them red. Chickens LOVE to peck at red things.

I am waiting for my chicken nipples too and I am going to put them in a 5 gallon bucket for outside.

Until they get the hang of it, try elevating their water to the height of the shortest chicken's back. That usually keeps it quite a bit cleaner.

I put the nipples in the run and tapped it showing them it but that did nothing. For about 10 days it sat there and they had no desire to touch it. Finally I took each pullet and poked the nipple with their beak once or twice. Just enough for a drop of water to come out. With in 20 min 2 of the girls got it and were drinking. It didn't take an hour for them all to get it after that. I just takes one. Good luck they are so much easier.

Quote:
That is the best way. I took a few girls and made them peck the nipples. Half an hour later I checked on them and they all were taking turns drinking. If one or two catch on the rest of your flock will follow. (monkey see monkey do)

Can you use the chicken nipples with baby chicks, or should they start out with a regular chick waterer?

Quote:
I havent tried it with my chicks, but Im sure they will use them. Just take a couple chicks and have them peck the tips and check on them a little later and they will probably figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom