Got rid of my first chicken today :(

meshelley53

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 20, 2013
Raleigh, nc
Warning* disturbing news* ......
My silkie I bought at auction turned out to be a rooster :( I asked everyone I know with chickens if they wanted him, called local chicken farms, posted an ad in Craigslist and other chicken forums with no luck so .....
So I got rid of the rooster and by 'got rid of' I mean killed
1f622.png

I had suggestions from non chicken folks to just dump him in a chicken yard. This was not an option because 1) I wouldn't want it done to me and 2) it's my problem not someone else who didn't ask for it. I asked for it by buying him at an auction. And letting it loose in the country as my mom suggested is just as cruel because it could be killed by something else and suffer ....I wanted to do it bloodlessly so I snapped it's neck and let's just say next time I'll probably go the axe method seems to be the quickest.
1f622.png
there aren't words for how I feel. And I knew sharing here would help me get it out and people reading would understand. Not to add that before she became a he, it was a very popular bird with friends & family. And my second favorite.

This has not been a good week!

Last edited:
I feel for you. I'm sure it was a difficult choice, yet without another home available for him, there is no other humane option.

Unfortunately, when we raise chickens, even if they are pets, there comes a time when it's time to get rid of an old or problem hen or an unwanted/mean/not allowed in your neighborhood rooster. If rehoming is not an option, the only responsible choice is to humanely kill it. You did what had to be done.

I am sorry you had to do it, but kudos to you for doing what was right instead of taking the easy way out.

In the long run, you did what was best for your bird, if your only options were to dump him in a "chicken yard' or turn him loose in the wilderness. You showed great responsibility in what you did. It's not easy, but it was without question the right thing to do.
hugs.gif

Thank you for not just "dumping" your bird somewhere. I've lived in the country off & on for over 20 years now and have seen discarded animals way too often and what happens to them. What you did was much more responsible and humane.

Back
Top Bottom