Got some Free fruits/veggies today :O}

erthymom2

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Went to outr local g.store in town(small store) and asked if they would give me some of their fruit/veggies they were pulling off the shelves and carrying to the back. I told her it was for animal fee and she said she was glad someone could use some of it,she feels bad throwing so much out.She said they usually cut up anything still good for smaller salads, but i could go thru the other boxes.
I walked out with over 50 lbs. of bagged salad stuff, squash, assorted summer veggies, corn on the cobs, peaches, etc. You get the picture. She even said I could come every sunday and anyother day of the week if I wanted for free produce stuff.
It never hurts to ask and folks will usually give you more then you ask for.Now when I get a dozen fresh brown eggs, I'll bring them to her for her generosity.

That's fantastic!! It's nice to see people wanting to give instead of being wasteful. I suppose there was no policy at that particular store about giving away produce....some stores would rather throw it away then give it to someone.

i've been going to the farmers' market and asking for greens they're throwing away. they take me to a whole boxful, and i take enough for a whole week - mostly carrot tops, but some other greens as well. it's great!

It's wonderful that they gave you that but just an FYI... it's against regulations. Any g'store or restraunt that is governed by the food administration will get shut down immediatly if caught. I have a neighbor that caters and she can't even throw her scrap out and she is in the middle 20acres, it's a major violation. That's why so many places throw it away instead of giving it to someone to use.

Grocery stores in my area won't give me anything but there's a small fruit/veggie stand that lets people go behind the building to pick through the spoiled veggies. That's the only way my girls get any watermelon. They've about finished a 20 pounder!

well I will let you in on a small secret when it comes to the grocery stores. The one I worked at for 19 years before retiring early , I gave alot of the out dated stuff to the local food bank and unfortunatly we had to require them to carry a million dollar liability policy "Just incase" someone filed suit and said they got sick and for that same reason we had to stop the "hog man" from getting all of the greens and produce because you do not know that they are using it for animal feed and some people are looking for a reason to "File a Lawsuit" on a big company. So I totally understand why they don't give it away anymore. Just a few in the past have ruined it for all of us honest folks.

wow, that's too bad it's again regulations ... though i do see why in extreme cases it would make sense.

fwiw, at my farmers' market, all food garbage is composted.

I'm grateful that we've had a discount outlet who has given us produce for over a year. I stop by about 2x a week & walk out with at least a bushel box.
Go try the independent or discount outlets; they don't have as many corporate rules!

Back
Top Bottom