1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Got Temporary Emus!!

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by Supreme Emu, May 19, 2011.

1. Supreme Emu

Supreme Emu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    The rains began about a month ago, just as the breeding-season began. Before the first rain, I had record numbers of emus at the fig tree. They were so hungry they were eating its leaves.
    Then, as I noted, my two (female) birds forsook me. For a lonely fortnight, I didn't see a single emu. (A local tells me that they 'flock up' in breeding-season. I'm unsure yet.) Then a clutch of chicks turned up in the house-clearing, where the best feed within miles is to be found. Next day, Mr. and Mrs. Eric the Emu turned up. I looked up from my gardening to see two emus looking at me over the fence. I fed them (and they ate a lot of a fruit we call 'lilly pillies'). Contrary to the breed-and-bolt theory, these two have been an item for over two years.

Then, about an hour ago, I was reading in the sunshine; heard booming; and looked up to see Greedy the Emu standing by the carport looking expectant. When I got up, I saw her boy emu, who then bolted into the gum trees, and is standing out there now, waiting for her.

The dialogue must go something like this:

Greedy the Girl Emu: 'Well, I'm gonna mosey on down to the People Place and get a bowl of yummy wheat.'

Boy Emu: 'What!? The People Place? Are you crazy? You'll get shot!'

Greedy: 'Shot? Yeh, whatever. Anyway, you can come or not. I'm going.'

What are the bets on how often my two birds will 'check in' during their first mating-season? Wheat is good, but breeding is better.

Supreme Emu

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    At least she's done the right thing and brought her boy home for an introduction. [​IMG]

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Quote:[​IMG]

4. dak

dak geek dvm

Mar 21, 2010
    So glad they're back. Animals remember where they've got it good. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by