Got the twine up!

Abriana

Spicy Sugar Cookie
6 Years
Apr 26, 2017
The moon
After two recent hawk attacks, my family and I have been trying to come up with a solution for chicken protection. Tonight we finally put this up:
3A97C4F2-7ADC-40FE-8068-E0B8CF0569EE.jpeg
5DC3811F-8A77-4B63-BAC2-74B9132FE6EF.jpeg
35EC43E8-ED4A-4762-BD17-07AC275739E6.jpeg
1BF1E59F-4569-4F29-BAC9-AE43AD2ED276.jpeg

I think it looks good but I’m nervous that the openings are too big? We put up boards and then along the tops of the boards put in nails spaced one foot apart. We still have a bit of fine-tuning to do, but overall I think this will help.

Nice! I'd dangle shiny things from some of the strings, like pie plates or CDs.

When storms blow our CDs down, the hawks tend to fly noticeably closer. As soon as the CDs are back up, the hawks fall back. It's happened enough I don't think it's a coincidence.

Another fun one: it's easy to find shiny silver Christmas balls this time of year 🎅 I got a bunch of the "shatterproof" ones and decorated the chicken yard. We'll see how long they last.

Make sure the flock has lots of places to dart under and hide, too.

Nice! I'd dangle shiny things from some of the strings, like pie plates or CDs.

When storms blow our CDs down, the hawks tend to fly noticeably closer. As soon as the CDs are back up, the hawks fall back. It's happened enough I don't think it's a coincidence.

Another fun one: it's easy to find shiny silver Christmas balls this time of year 🎅 I got a bunch of the "shatterproof" ones and decorated the chicken yard. We'll see how long they last.

Make sure the flock has lots of places to dart under and hide, too.
My mom has been talking about using CDs, after reading this I think that it’s a good idea!

I thought I’d give a small update on how it’s been working :) it’s been almost two months and so far super good! I’ve honestly seen more hawks than ever around here, I always see them when I’m driving and they still hang out in our trees, but so far I’ve not seen any attempts. I think finally a coexistence is possible :)

How about putting some of those pallets up on blocks to give the chickens some shelter spots?

View attachment 2439668
I have one pallet house, it’s basically two pallets leaning into each other and secured with wire (my dad helped me and they are very secure and won’t fall over). It’s situated in a really good place at the end of the pen to give them some shelter down there. Since I slightly downsized the pen to give my two drakes their own space, one pallet house is plenty for the whole pen!
Looks pretty good....good pics too.
How high is the twine?
Might go crosswise with some strands too.
Well originally it was maybe 4 or 4 1/2 feet, it has sagged and is now maybe 3 feet or 3 1/2 feet.
That is a good idea, however it’s been working like a charm. But I’ll keep that suggestion in mind. I definitely do have the ability to do that though so maybe I’ll do it anyway as a precaution.

Back
Top Bottom