Got Three New Chicks, Breed Help Please?

Yoshii

Songster
11 Years
Jan 28, 2008
Central Alabama (Chelsea)
Went into the local feed store and they had a bin full of nondescript straight run chicks (and poults). Couldn't help myself, came home with three new babies. They're about a week old. Any help with identifying these breeds?

#1 "ELLE"
DSCF3028.jpg

DSCF3053.jpg

DSCF3059.jpg

Cute little bantam chick. Slate legs, if you can't tell. Most prone to being held, calm, smallest.

#2 "BIG BLUE"
DSCF3043.jpg

DSCF3060.jpg

The standard of the bunch. Feathered legs, legs themselves are grey, fading to pinkish at the toes. I thiiink this might be a cochin. Its color at least seems to be blue, splash, mottled or black.

#3 "RACER"
DSCF3030.jpg

DSCF3047.jpg

Bantam, and it's hard to tell from the pics, but its got the whole 'chipmunk stripe' going on. Pink legs.

Any guesses? Thanks so much!

First looks like a gold sebright. Does it have a single or "rose" comb? THe lacing should develop as it gets older.

Second is a blue cochin.

Third seems like an OEGB. Looks like it will be Brown Breasted Red.

Thanks so much for the help!

Chick #1 appears to have a single comb, I think. I have to admit, I don't know how to tell; what's the difference?

I can't express how happy I am that the consensus tends to be that #2 is a blue cochin! That's EXACTLY what I was hoping for, and if I'd not come across local chicks, I was going to order blue cochins! Awesome.

And #3 seems rather OEGB-ish. S/he is on the move NONSTOP, completely bustling with energy, and vocal, too!

Let's just hope for girls from now xD!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom