Got Three New Chicks, Breed Help Please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Yoshii, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Yoshii

Yoshii Chillin' With My Peeps

Went into the local feed store and they had a bin full of nondescript straight run chicks (and poults). Couldn't help myself, came home with three new babies. They're about a week old. Any help with identifying these breeds?

#1 "ELLE"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cute little bantam chick. Slate legs, if you can't tell. Most prone to being held, calm, smallest.

#2 "BIG BLUE"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The standard of the bunch. Feathered legs, legs themselves are grey, fading to pinkish at the toes. I thiiink this might be a cochin. Its color at least seems to be blue, splash, mottled or black.

#3 "RACER"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bantam, and it's hard to tell from the pics, but its got the whole 'chipmunk stripe' going on. Pink legs.

Any guesses? Thanks so much!

2. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    The first one looks like a Gold Laced Seabright. The second looks like a black australorp, and the third looks like it will be a brown leghorn. JMHO

3. Yoshii

I thought Australorp, too, but it has feathered legs!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'm not sure but I do know I have chick fever!!! I can't wait for them to get here!

5. king2

king2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    GA
    the second is a self blue cochin. what cuties! [​IMG]

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    First looks like a gold sebright. Does it have a single or "rose" comb? THe lacing should develop as it gets older.

Second is a blue cochin.

Third seems like an OEGB. Looks like it will be Brown Breasted Red.

7. Yoshii

Thanks so much for the help!

Chick #1 appears to have a single comb, I think. I have to admit, I don't know how to tell; what's the difference?

I can't express how happy I am that the consensus tends to be that #2 is a blue cochin! That's EXACTLY what I was hoping for, and if I'd not come across local chicks, I was going to order blue cochins! Awesome.

And #3 seems rather OEGB-ish. S/he is on the move NONSTOP, completely bustling with energy, and vocal, too!

Let's just hope for girls from now xD!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by