Gotta a question....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BarredBuff, Dec 21, 2009.

1. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Will hens lay eggs on the Purina Flock Raiser with oyster shell?

2. jim s

jim s Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    Hi BarredBuff. I noticed no one else has responded. I don't feed my chickens Purina Flock Raiser with Oyster shell. The oyster shell helps with calcium which they need for stong eggshells. With Oyster Shells in the name of the feed, I would expect Purina has the other ingredients necessary for proper diet for egglaying. Oyster shells are not needed for anything else in raising chickens that I know of. I noticed you have 20,000 bees listed as pets, I am glad to connect with another chicken bee keeper.

3. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well, I don't know either, but you may want to compare the protein content of the two feeds. I gather protein is important. If you don't get any more expert answers, you might try putting your question in the subject line.

4. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    I read it as meaning Purina Flock Raiser, with oyster shell as a seperate free choice? I'm quite sure they will. I have heard of people feeding Flock Raiser when they have multiple birds together (Chickens, Ducks, Guineas etc). I believe that Flock Raiser is higher in protein then normal layer feeds? And then offering free choice oyster shell allows them to keep their calcium levels up.

I can't see a reason why they wouldnt be healthy on that diet, just make sure you offer them in seperate feeders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by