Gotta do some bragging!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mychookschick, Sep 14, 2012.

1. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Ok, so, I have the BEST broody hen that EVER walked the face of the planet!

I found her in the hollow an apple tree, not too far from the coop, but far enough that I never noticed her. She had 19 eggs and my best guess was that she was a week and a half into he setting period. Well, I already have too many roosters from all the other broodies this year (6-7 total), so I formulated a plan to make her adopt some hatchery pullets. I really only wanted 12, but Mt Healthy's minimum is 15, so that is what I ordered. Well they came and I opened the box at the PO to make sure they were OK, and they were, but I thought that it looked like too many, but I equated it to them being cramped. Well, I got them home and fed them, then I decided to count them. 22. I almost croaked. How in the world is this hen supposed to take care of 22 hatchery chicks and 7 of her own? I figured that I didn't have anything to lose, because I certainly was not ready to take care of them myself, so I put them in the hollow with her.

I was shocked! She readily accepted them (a bit confused about where they came from at first), and soon, ALL 29 of them were under her warm body!! 22 Golden Comets, 6 GLW X BO, and 1 BR X BO!! I am so very proud of her! I have pics, and I will put them up soon! It is quite the sight!

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Awsome!!!!!! Can't wait to see that pic. Congrats![​IMG]

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

How wonderful! Nothing is better than a "momma"! Post pics soon!

4. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Yippee. Hooray. Three Cheers for chicks!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    29 chicks! [​IMG] Wow! Can't wait to see some pics.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    That poor hen! She's probably thinking, 'that was quick.' We gotta see pictures! [​IMG]

7. mychookschick

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Oops! I forgot about pics to post on this thread! Eeeek! I will upload them right now...

8. mychookschick

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Ok... sorry that it took so long to get these up here! the computer acted up last night when I said I would do it.

This is her when she was still in the hollowed out tree. I put the screen up because some of the babies learned how tto jump out and not how to get back in ;)
    [​IMG]

This is a sort-of up close. She bit me everytime I tried to pick her up! I don't blame her though, I would be up tight if I had that many babies to keep track of!
    [​IMG]

I took her out for a quick pic so that you could see how full that little tree was!
    [​IMG]

Then, a few days later, we got A LOT of rain and I went to the tree to find the babies all wet. So, I moved them to a cage in the coop, so they could dry off and have room to spread out. I lined the cage with feed bags so they couldn't leave their mama (they fit through the bars)!
    [​IMG]

This is the whole group of them! (Can you spy the one that is different?)
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by