Gourd Shaped Egg, "One of a kind?"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lulujez, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Lulujez

Lulujez New Egg

Mar 7, 2015
    We have four chickens, two that lay white eggs, one brown and the other blue/green.
    The blue/green egg-laying hen gave us the gourd shaped egg below as well as a robin egg this week. Before and after she layed the regular sized eggs. In picture below are the regular white and brown eggs at the top and the blue/green hen's at the bottom, regular egg surrounded on left by gourd egg and right by robin-sized egg. I search the internet and did not find anything close to this gourd-egg. A world's first? Do we get a prize? ;-) (Hen is two 1/2 years old.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  2. lizida

lizida Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2015
    Washington
    that is odd and cool. I've never seen anything like that.

3. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    You win... a gourd shaped egg!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm wondering if that and the robin egg are the same egg that got separated some how. I can't imagine that shape developing by itself in the egg tract only to have it go back to normal so quickly. Crack them open and see. I'm guessing the yolk is the robin egg and the gourd is the albumen.

4. Lulujez

Lulujez New Egg

Mar 7, 2015
    I will wait until my granddaughter gets here Monday and make your yolk theory test by cracking both eggs. I will post results. As for the hen, Myrtle, she laid another large normal blue egg today, so she is not sick or lacking good food. Thanks for the suggestion.

5. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    It looks to me like the long skinny one is the white and the little one will probably have the yolk in it. That is definitely weird.

6. rdefries1

rdefries1 New Egg

Aug 2, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Just found this egg in my lay box

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by