Gourd Shaped Egg, "One of a kind?"

Lulujez

Hatching
Mar 7, 2015
We have four chickens, two that lay white eggs, one brown and the other blue/green.
The blue/green egg-laying hen gave us the gourd shaped egg below as well as a robin egg this week. Before and after she layed the regular sized eggs. In picture below are the regular white and brown eggs at the top and the blue/green hen's at the bottom, regular egg surrounded on left by gourd egg and right by robin-sized egg. I search the internet and did not find anything close to this gourd-egg. A world's first? Do we get a prize? ;-) (Hen is two 1/2 years old.)

Last edited:
You win... a gourd shaped egg!!!
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

I'm wondering if that and the robin egg are the same egg that got separated some how. I can't imagine that shape developing by itself in the egg tract only to have it go back to normal so quickly. Crack them open and see. I'm guessing the yolk is the robin egg and the gourd is the albumen.

I will wait until my granddaughter gets here Monday and make your yolk theory test by cracking both eggs. I will post results. As for the hen, Myrtle, she laid another large normal blue egg today, so she is not sick or lacking good food. Thanks for the suggestion.

We have four chickens, two that lay white eggs, one brown and the other blue/green.
The blue/green egg-laying hen gave us the gourd shaped egg below as well as a robin egg this week. Before and after she layed the regular sized eggs. In picture below are the regular white and brown eggs at the top and the blue/green hen's at the bottom, regular egg surrounded on left by gourd egg and right by robin-sized egg. I search the internet and did not find anything close to this gourd-egg. A world's first? Do we get a prize? ;-) (Hen is two 1/2 years old.)

Got our first gourd egg today. I haven't opened it yet.... but apparently this is not an unusual phenomenon. V. Blethen

Attachments

• IMG_9508.JPG
    IMG_9508.JPG
    643.1 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom