Gout?

Chiknmma

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2024
Hello my hen currently has swollen feet. I was not able to find a injured spot to treat for bumble foot and also it's on both feet. I asked around and someone said it looks like gout. After reading into chicken gout i think that might be it but I can't find anything on treating it. Here's some pictures. There's a spot on her foot but it is not something responding to bumblefoot treatment so I still don't think it is that. Do yall think it's gout and if it is how do I treat it? It seems to be going down a little bit since I started adding vinegar to her water which is what I was told to do if it's gout but I'm still so worried.

Attachments

• 20240123_170907.jpg
    20240123_170907.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 53
  • 20240122_181811.jpg
    20240122_181811.jpg
    678.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240122_181734.jpg
    20240122_181734.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 13
How cold has it been where you live? I just want to rule out frostbite. How long have you noticed the swelling? Are they discolored? I’m not an expert, but gout usually includes lumpy looking feet and toes. In mycoplasma synovitis, which causes the swollen ankles, it usually also causes swollen hocks up the leg. I would guess this may be gout. Here is some reading about it:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/gout-management-in-poultry

How cold has it been where you live? I just want to rule out frostbite. How long have you noticed the swelling? Are they discolored? I’m not an expert, but gout usually includes lumpy looking feet and toes. In mycoplasma synovitis, which causes the swollen ankles, it usually also causes swollen hocks up the leg. I would guess this may be gout. Here is some reading about it:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/gout-management-in-poultryit got down in the 20s a few night ago. I noticed this around 2 days ago and brought her in for treatment. They do look lumpy between the toes and there's a reddish color that doesn't show up in the picture.

Hello my hen currently has swollen feet. I was not able to find a injured spot to treat for bumble foot and also it's on both feet. I asked around and someone said it looks like gout. After reading into chicken gout i think that might be it but I can't find anything on treating it. Here's some pictures. There's a spot on her foot but it is not something responding to bumblefoot treatment so I still don't think it is that. Do yall think it's gout and if it is how do I treat it? It seems to be going down a little bit since I started adding vinegar to her water which is what I was told to do if it's gout but I'm still so worried.
How long have the feet been swollen?

Any coughing or sneezing in the flock?

I would watch her feet for any color changes in the next few days or week, just to make sure there is no frostbite in addition to possible gout.

@Chiknmma I just noticed you post inside of @Eggcessive's quoted message.

I CAN see the red on her feet on my large computer screen. I don't have to deal with frostbite so I haven't seen it in person but it does look like her feet did get frozen which may be part of the issue.

Okay, then please let us know how her feet look the next few days. Watch to see if she is having trouble walking. Is she in a coop above freezing now? If not, I would bring her in to a garage or basement not really warm, but above freezing. Don’t massage her feet or legs. I really hope it is not frostbite. Usually, I don’t see anything like that with temps in the teens and 20’s, but if she got her feet wet, that could have happened.

Back
Top Bottom