Gout?

twistedpickle

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 16, 2009
northfield
first thank you for taking the time to try and help.

one of my layers (i have ten) has what looks to be gout., a big swoolen lump on the top of her toe. It looks very painfull and I have no idea what to do for her. She is walking around ok and does not seem to favor her other foot, but is very large and no doubt noticed by her.
Do or can chickens get gout ?
and if so, how would I treat it ?
should I drain it ?

thanks again

Look very carefully at the bottom of the foot and read up on bumblefoot here. It is a staph infection and can be treated successfully. You will have to lance and soak the foot, and get the core out, then dress with antibiotic ointment, and keep her separated and resting til healed.

I don't know that this is the problem, but often this is what causes a swollen place on a chickens foot.

Chickens can indeed get gout. It can be caused by too much dietary protein, kidney damage or simply genetic heredity.

Symptoms: swollen white lumpy joints, especially on the tops of toes. You can apparently see the white urates collecting under the skin.

There is no specific treatment, but if it is gout, the obvious thing would be to stop feeding any treats which might be high in protein, such as sunflower seeds, meat/fish scraps, and dairy products.

thank you for the help

I lanced the sore and removed the puss/core and soaked her feet in salt water.

have applied antibactrial and wraped in gauze. She was a real trooper through it.

I will watch for infection and let you all know how she is.

Again thank you

Quote:
..if , when you do this, what comes "out" (or what is inside) is white and gritty... or if the lump moves around to different places ... that is gout and yes chickens often suffer from it (this is why you should offer your roos a source of non-layer feed . too much calcium in the layer can cause gout)

Back
Top Bottom