GRADUATED FROM A TOASTER OVEN TO A HOVA BATOR

I've had more luck with the toaster oven then I do the incubator. I have a hova bator and have had a lot of trouble with the hatches, losing most of the chicks. I didn't lose but one with the oven method. Ok....about the cloth. If you fold the cloth and keep your temperature at 100 degrees, it should be fine. Mine was! Just make sure the cloth does not touch the sides. The pan of water should be on the middle rack. the top of the pan (these are the pan and lid that comes with all toaster ovens), anyway, the top of the pan sets on top of the water pan. There is usually holes in that part (the top), which is why I had put a cloth on it. It shouldnt matter if you use a cloth or not. Mark your eggs, with an X on one side, O on the other. Place your eggs in the oven starting in the middle and working your way out. Make sure all eggs are facing with either the x up or the o up, so when you turn them they will be the same way. You should be able to fit about 20 eggs in there depending of course on the size of your eggs. Candle your eggs within a week. Make sure you always check your temp to make sure it is as close as possible to 100 degree. Check your water every evening, fill as necessary with "warm" water. I turned my eggs three times a day, except for the last two days.
In the electric skillet, I did not use any cloth. Just put the egg inside, covered it, made sure that the little vent slide was open on top. Don't forget to put a little shot class or similiar full of warm water inside and check it everyday. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks Spiritualmystic!! I can't wait to try this out. I have a toaster oven and electric skillet already that we never use, so now one of them will have something to do. 20 eggs is just perfect for what we want to hatch at some point, I guess we'll start off with a few less until we get the hang of it. Now I have to for sure get a rooster to fertilize my hens eggs. I'll be sure to post how we made out!!
smile.png

Great!!! Oh one thing I forgot to tell you with the toaster oven. Leave the door "cracked" for ventilation at all times. Also, keep it out of direct drafts or it will alter your temprature.
smile.png
I'll be waiting to hear how many chickies you get. Also, if you can't find a rooster, I ship fertilized leghorn eggs. Their the queen of layers. Actually right now I have a barred rock rooster so he is the daddy and the girls are leghorns.
smile.png
Let me know. I sell them for 12.00 a dozen and 12.00 priority mail. Your sure to get you a rooster out of those.
smile.png

Last edited:
oh my goodness i tried the crockpot last night checked temp often thought was ok tured up heat just a hair , fell asleep went to check and therm showed over 120, i cracked 1 egg ARGHHH POached, sure glad i didn't do all, but i have some in my lower oven with light on and a dish of water, anyone ever try this? my rooster met his demize two weeks ago these eggs are my only hope:
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom