Graduating to the BIG Chicken Coop!

LilMissChz

Songster
7 Years
Feb 16, 2012
North East, Maryland
Well, my girls officially grew out of their brooder. They were good sports though, even though it was cramped. We had toyed with the idea of simply getting a bigger box and using that for a couple of weeks. However, my girls mostly are feathered out nicely at just over three weeks. I had checked here first and found lots of threads about when to move them outside. Most say 2 weeks is a little young. 4 weeks seems to be fine, so it just depended on how cool our nights are. We're in the 50's at night, so we made the decision to take them outdoors. I did move the ecoglow out with them for a week or so until it warms up more and they have a chance to acclimate and grow more feathers. They genuinely seemed happy to be in the big house.

And thanks to all those who were discussing when to move them... because it helped me to make the tough decision. I think it's harder on me than it is them. They love it!
clap.gif

Yay good job with the big move. We share the same moving day lol. Today I moved our 6 1/2 week old chicks out to the hen house. They were very nervous, as I tried to put then in one by one they kept running back down the ladder( I laughed and said it was good ladder practice) they wanted to be outside scratching around.They are all tucked in for their first night outside with a heat lamp set up just in case they need it. Im glad I made the move. Now I just need to get used to going outside to tend to them rather than look in on them in the garage(grrrr rain thats gonna be here for the next week and a half).

Back
Top Bottom