Graduation Time! (switching feed question)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Morgan7782, May 20, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I have two 7 week old standard bred chickies. I was told to change them from Chick Start to Start N Grow somewhere between 2-3 months old. Is this true? Or when should I switch them? If at all?? Any feeding advice from 7 weeks to Laying Age would be appreciated!

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I usually just switch mine to flock raiser once I stop feeding them chick starter!! It's easier for me to keep only one kind of feed in my coop now that their in the "nursery" coop!! You can actually keep them on the flock raiser even after their laying as long as you offer the oyster shells free choice!! Good luck!

Missi

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Should I keep them on chick starter until they start laying?

4. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I keep mine on chick starter till I see that first egg, then switch to layer feed.

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:Me too. It's sooo nice to have everybody on the same feed and oyster shell is inexpensive and easy to keep available for the layers.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Thank you for the advice!! I didn't know I could keep them on chick starter until they started laying. Maybe I should do that.. What is the difference between chick starter and start n grow? They are around the same price here.

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Here again, different strokes for different folks. I feed mine starter feed until 8 weeks old, then switch to grower feed until they start laying, then they get layer pellets. Seems to work just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by