Grafted chicks on broody, what did I do wrong?

Amyh

Songster
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
North Carolina
So my broody hen hatched out two chicks on Saturday. I got to the feed store as quickly as I could and purchased two chicks yesterday and put them into the nest box with the hen. She did fine with them all evening and then let them sleep under her last night. This morning, both chicks were hiding in one of the nesting boxes and when I put them back with Mama and her two, she chased them.

What did I do wrong? I'm really disappointed!! Can I try again?? Her chicks are little black cuties with white markings and the chicks I purchases are white easter eggers. Could the coloring variation be the problem?

Some hens are very, very aware of "their" chicks. Different colors chicks can and will send hens into pecking and chasing.

Sounds like what happened with yours. It has happened to me...........teaches you quickly just which broody is an "all chick" kind or "just mine". In fact happened to me yesterday.

Minge will warm any cold baby, but once warm and out-n-about - that chick best have coloration similar or the same as the ones she hatched. I gave the chicks she rejected to my other broody who has newly hatched chicks and she could careless - 3 chicks, 5 chicks, 7 chicks - white, black, red - she loves them all.

You can try, taking mom away from the babies - not for long - move babies to new area. Then let mom in with babies and see if she will accept them all. If not, I am glad you got two - they will keep each other company - and I hope you have a brooder for them
hugs.gif

Quote:
Ugghhh... I have a grow out pen for some other juveniles (all under four weeks). I put them in there for now, but am still a little worried that they will get pecked by the others. I watched for about an hour and they seemed fine.... I hope I don't go out to a bloody mess when my little boy wakes up from his nap.
hmm.png

I will not make this mistake again. I should have gotten the little black easter eggers, but I don't have any white EE's, so I got all excited about them. lol

I totally understand.
smile.png

If you know the people at the store where you got the chicks, maybe you could exchange them (white for black)? Probably not, but it would not hurt to ask.

I have one broody who I swear can count her chicks. She only will raise what she hatches, I cannot sneak other chicks under her even if they are the correct colors.
hmm.png

eta: can you divide your grow out pen, just a small corner for the new chicks - until they get a smidge bigger? They will probably be alright with the four week olds, I would just worry about them being trampled the first couple days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom