Grain Bin converted to coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jared, May 24, 2012.

1. Jared

Jared In the Brooder

I have taken a smaller grain bin and converted it to a coop. I will insulate the walls soon, as well as painting the outside white. I used an old house door (with windows) for the front door, and removed the lower panel so the birds can get in and out easily. Above the door is a small opening for added air flow, a screen and fan will be put here. There is also a vent at the top of the bin. I used a tree with branches for the roost. I bolted refrigerator vegetable drawers to the walls, a simple wire removed allows me to clean the boxes any time with ease. I have suspended 6 (2 stacks of 3) rabbit cages 36"x30"x18" with cardboard covering the wire floors, so I can pen up several different age group chicks (as I'm planning on hatching about 35-50 chicks per month + guinea chicks. So far, this has worked like a charm, and I have less then 10 bucks invested in the entire thing. The only draw back (if one can call it that) is the bin (without insulation) seems to amplify the roosters voice, and he sure seems to enjoy crowing in there. Good thing the nearest neighbor is 5 miles away.

2. what did I do

what did I do Songster

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    Sounds nifty. Pictures :thumbsup

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    What a great idea.LOL,on the amplified crowing.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I have a friend that did that with her chickens and she let it free ranged because it DOES get HOT during the summer and cold in the winter. In the winter, she would would line the straw bales like three walls around the coop to keep them warm and they love it.

5. Jared

Jared In the Brooder

Ok, not great with this techno stuff, but here's some pictures of the grain bin converted to coop. Still a work in progress.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Pretty freakin' awesome!

7. RobinZ

RobinZ Songster

Jun 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Love it, love the tree roosts and the old refrig bins, great ideas.

8. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Songster

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    I LOVE this!!

9. foothillsfiber

foothillsfiber Chirping

Dec 23, 2011
    Arkansas
    I have been wanting to do this for a long time but have yet to find a grain bin for cheap enough.

10. what did I do

what did I do Songster

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    Love it. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: