Grain Bin Coop

That looks pretty cool!
How did you install door and window to shed water at top??

Is that a vent at top?
Is it vented around bottom edge of roof?
Height might help moist ammonia laden air rise up above birds,
but metal might create condensate on inner surfaces.

Ditto Dat!!!^^^

We bolted 4 x 4 posts to the inside to mount the door, and then cut the wood frame at the top on a radius, and the added caulk to seal. The top opens up, but not sure how that will work in the winter. Will probably add a solar exhaust fan in the peak opening for ventilation.
9458.jpeg

20190519_151524.jpg

We converted my tin shed over to wood siding. It would condensate sometimes, but not as much as my turkey shed that has a lower roof. That is definitely worse on winter days when it's really cold at night, than the sun comes out. Than it can drip a bit.

My shed also got really hot in summer as tin can heat up like an oven. I would expect more problems in the warmer weather because of that.

The bin has a huge tree that shades most of it during the morning and early afternoon. Did not seem to get very warm in there this summer, but it was milder than most summers. We have two windows and the door is left open all day when they are free ranging, so pretty good airflow most days.

The roof is covered with 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth, which is what I have on the sides also. Next summer I may add a metal panel roof to help shade in the summer, and the mesh will only help protect the flock from predators. No issues with rain whatsoever. We have had a pretty mild winter so far here in Northern Illinois and there have been no issues.

We bolted 4 x 4 posts to the inside to mount the door, and then cut the wood frame at the top on a radius, and the added caulk to seal. The top opens up, but not sure how that will work in the winter. Will probably add a solar exhaust fan in the peak opening for ventilation. View attachment 1892900
View attachment 1892891
My husband is going to convert one of our grain bins to a coop for me as soon as the snow melts. He's not sure how to install a window, how did you do it ? Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom