Grain Fed Rant

Personally, it is my opinion that "organic" is the latest buzz word promoted by Mad' Ave. and enacted into law at the behest of the big corporation lobbyists. My reasons for believing this are:

1. There are few if any proven health benefits to so-called organic foods.
  2. The estimated cost for USDA organic certification averages to $750/farm.
  3. Unless someone actually files a complaint there is no inspection or enforcement.
  4. Even if the product is truly organic that does not guarantee that it tastes better or even if it's safer.

I agree that there is a problem with chemical pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers when they are used incorrectly. But it's quite a leap to suggest that because something is harmful when misused, it mustn't be used at all. I've heard that a little bit of arsenic is good for the complexion.

Personally, it is my opinion that "organic" is the latest buzz word promoted by Mad' Ave. and enacted into law at the behest of the big corporation lobbyists. My reasons for believing this are:

1. There are few if any proven health benefits to so-called organic foods.
  2. The estimated cost for USDA organic certification averages to $750/farm.
  3. Unless someone actually files a complaint there is no inspection or enforcement.
  4. Even if the product is truly organic that does not guarantee that it tastes better or even if it's safer.

I agree that there is a problem with chemical pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers when they are used incorrectly. But it's quite a leap to suggest that because something is harmful when misused, it mustn't be used at all. I've heard that a little bit of arsenic is good for the complexion.
Get your hair analyzed for arsenic. Everyone's hair will show arsenic, unless of course you dont drink water.

I only drink organic water.
lau.gif

Update:
Now I'm mad, too!
somad.gif
OldGal came home with a "gourmet" box that says on the label in big, bold letters:

MILK CHOCOLATE
ALMONDS

While munching on them I noticed that some didn't taste quite like almonds. Upon inspecting the label, after the obligatory small font, five lines of "Nutrition Facts" and three lines of "Ingredients" and yet another line labeled, "Contains:" the whole text of which read, "Almonds, Milk & Soy" I found this line:

May Contain: Peanuts, Other
Tree Nuts, Wheat & Eggs.

While I was reasonably convinced that my taste buds weren't that poorly calibrated, I took several of the smaller candies and washed the chocolate off and, just as I expected found peanuts. Thank the creator, that I'm not allergic.

I have done my best to faithfully represent the relative size and appearance of the fonts involved. I don't like being ripped off. They will be hearing from me when their district office opens Monday morning!
smack.gif
Called the market's office yesterday morning. They were most concerned by the fact that I'd found peanuts in the almonds. The man I spoke to said that the "May Contain: Peanuts..." was not there because they purposely put peanuts in the product, but because of a legally required allergy notice. I got curious and went by the store yesterday evening and all of the Milk Chocolate Almonds had been removed from the shelves.

It's nice to know that there are still some companies that conduct their business in an ethical manner, and take pride in their products.
smile.png

Yeah, I've been thinking about quitting my nasty water habit.

That said, I get the point, which, I think is: You can't live life without getting this "bad" stuff in your body. It's all a matter of degrees.

Back
Top Bottom