Grain Free Chicken Feed?

TylerWaugh

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 23, 2013
I want to raise day old chicks to butcher when they get older for cat food, I've been told cats should eat grain free chicken, is there a grain free diet for chickens homemade or Comercial? I know I can free range them but I mean when they are in the brooder because they will need food.

Also I know babys need lots of protien, can I feed metalworms? I breed mealworms for reptiles.

Is there anything I can feed along with bugs that is grain free or should I just feed grain food with bugs?

Last edited:
You can feed your chicks bugs and other things ( meal worms, greens etc ) but you might want to wait until they started eating grit... I give mine really fine grit from day one but they don't really start to pick at it until they're a bit older say 5 to 7 days...

You can also just give them a hunk or dirt with some gass still attached. They will pick what they need for grit out of that and have a great time tearing it up (after they get over being scared of it).

Can I please have some good links for raising day old chicks to adulthood, I keep finding links that totaly disagree with another link.

Where did you hear that cats should eat grain free chicken? Sounds like BS to me. I doubt there is a single cat in the country that hasn't eaten and animal that has eaten grains. Also seems like a really expensive way to get cat food...

Last edited:
Lots of people say they only feed grain free chicken, cats should eat a grain free diet but honestly I call bs too the prey item eating a grain diet doesn't matter.

I'll just feed a grain diet with bugs and wheat grass? Is wheat grass okay? Or just do normal grass?

Back
Top Bottom