Grain Free Chicken Feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TylerWaugh, Jan 22, 2015.

1. TylerWaugh

TylerWaugh Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    I want to raise day old chicks to butcher when they get older for cat food, I've been told cats should eat grain free chicken, is there a grain free diet for chickens homemade or Comercial? I know I can free range them but I mean when they are in the brooder because they will need food.

Also I know babys need lots of protien, can I feed metalworms? I breed mealworms for reptiles.

Is there anything I can feed along with bugs that is grain free or should I just feed grain food with bugs?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  2. TylerWaugh

Jul 23, 2013
    Okay so just feed grain?

Can I feed mealworms and other bugs?

3. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

You can feed your chicks bugs and other things ( meal worms, greens etc ) but you might want to wait until they started eating grit... I give mine really fine grit from day one but they don't really start to pick at it until they're a bit older say 5 to 7 days...

4. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    You can also just give them a hunk or dirt with some gass still attached. They will pick what they need for grit out of that and have a great time tearing it up (after they get over being scared of it).

5. hennible

Lol x2
    Sand works too

6. TylerWaugh

Jul 23, 2013
    Can I please have some good links for raising day old chicks to adulthood, I keep finding links that totaly disagree with another link.

7. hennible

Well, there are many opinions and not necessarily any right way to do anything... But try looking at articles or reading in the learning centre.

8. barnaclebob

barnaclebob Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    Where did you hear that cats should eat grain free chicken? Sounds like BS to me. I doubt there is a single cat in the country that hasn't eaten and animal that has eaten grains. Also seems like a really expensive way to get cat food...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  9. TylerWaugh

Jul 23, 2013
    Lots of people say they only feed grain free chicken, cats should eat a grain free diet but honestly I call bs too the prey item eating a grain diet doesn't matter.

I'll just feed a grain diet with bugs and wheat grass? Is wheat grass okay? Or just do normal grass?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by