Grain mites...

Pics

Painted Calls

Still the Mayor
Premium Feather Member
Aug 26, 2019
I've never had to deal with them. Today I noticed that I have a severe infestation. I keep my feed in the house, in two of the 50lb airtight feed bins with wheels.

I've dumped over 50lbs of feed (and wanted to cry doing it) and sprayed everything down with 99% alcohol. Everything is drying now. Including the carpet and surrounding areas where I keep my bins.

How do I prevent these nasties? I feel like burning my house down.

I wasn't, but I am now! 🤮 :gig

Is there a way to prevent them from getting out of control if they do happen to be in feed I buy? Or should I just check mill dates, not worry about it, and return any future bags that may be infested?

Sorry but I don’t know what to treat your house with to make sure they are all gone but give me a minute and I should have an answer.
One good thing about TSC is they keep the feed inside where it’s climate controlled. I buy all my feed from them even though it’s a longer drive for me. I check the mill dates and also smell it before I feed it to the chickens. If it’s bad, you can smell the difference.
The feed stores near me have it stacked up in sheds with rat traps next to them.

I buy from TSC too. Longer drive, but I go for the same reason you mentioned.

I sprayed the carpet/wall/mop board with 99% alcohol and then with some Gordon's. I'm sure thats not good for the carpet or us, but it's better than the alternative.... Lighting a match and collecting insurance.

Well I thought I’d have a quick answer. I buy all my insecticides from here:

https://search.domyown.com/search?ts=m&w=Grain mites&isort=score&method=and

I keyed in “grain mites”and this was at the top of the list. It can be used indoors. Permitherin products may work also and can be bought locally.
Maybe someone will chime in with solid answer. I agree, DE is useless.

Back
Top Bottom