Grain mites...

DE should work to rid the grain mites.

I brought them home once...I was disgusted but it wasn't the end of the world.

I sprayed the crap out of my feed bags with permethrin and they disappeared.
Thanks Kiki! Could/should I mix DE into any affected feed? Just asking for future reference. I already dumped over 100lbs of chicken feed, scratch and even a brand new bag of cat food. I wanted to puke dumping all that feed out.

Thanks Kiki! Could/should I mix DE into any affected feed? Just asking for future reference. I already dumped over 100lbs of chicken feed, scratch and even a brand new bag of cat food. I wanted to puke dumping all that feed out.
Yes. It will work.

Some feeds actually come with DE in them....most likely to help try and prevent grain mites.

@Overo Mare were you able to conquer these things in your house? How many days went by before they were completely gone? I am dealing with the same issue right now, it's a definite yuck.
I honestly still see one or two every now and then in that same area. I am still spraying with the permethrin and then vacuuming once dry.

I wish I could help you more. I'm sorry. They're truly a royal pain.

Just bought a new bag of feed. No problems until today. Infested again.

I'm changing feeds. This is beyond ridiculous.

I honestly still see one or two every now and then in that same area. I am still spraying with the permethrin and then vacuuming once dry.

I wish I could help you more. I'm sorry. They're truly a royal pain.

Just bought a new bag of feed. No problems until today. Infested again.

Oh no, I'm so sorry! not ok...We are still trying to win our garage (and everything in the garage) back from these things. I thought about moving! I don't think anyone with the clean freak gene can even deal :he

Oh no, I'm so sorry! not ok...We are still trying to win our garage (and everything in the garage) back from these things. I thought about moving! I don't think anyone with the clean freak gene can even deal :he
I feel your pain.

I briefly thought about burning the house down and rebuilding. 🤣

It's probably not so much the brand of feed you're using but the store you are getting it from is likely infested. I had grain mites this spring for the first time ever and they are a pain. Like Kiki I treated the outside of the bags, I used "Eight" powder on the bags and the surrounding area. Seemed to do the trick.

It's probably not so much the brand of feed you're using but the store you are getting it from is likely infested. I had grain mites this spring for the first time ever and they are a pain. Like Kiki I treated the outside of the bags, I used "Eight" powder on the bags and the surrounding area. Seemed to do the trick.
Considered that too. I've been in contact with the store. They're contacting Purina.

So far everyone has been super helpful. I'd like some clean feed though. Going to buy a few smaller bags and store in the freezer for now.

Back
Top Bottom