Grain soaked in water and acv or kombucha?

yes. ACV is what is used to start the fermented feed in the "Fermented Feed for Meat Birds" thread.

If you do just let your grain soak up the water and ACV, keep an eye on it to make sure no moulds begin to grow on it. But, if you soak it overnight and feed it in the morning, it would be just fine. Letting it sit in a semi damp state, though...I, personally, wouldn't do that.

I have just recently started fermenting their pellets with kombucha, The hens love it! I also add nonfat dry milk to the mix with no adverse problems.

I use raw goat's milk.
smile.png

I was reading a study done in ~1909 where they tested the difference in chicken health and laying using various types/numbers of animal proteins. They found that the best combination was fish meal and dried, skim milk. I don't have dried skim milk; but, I do have goat's milk. Not quite the same thing; but, figured it couldn't hurt. So far, they've been loving it.

Sounds like you are of the same mind - that's awesome to see. Someone else basically telling me I'm not doing it "too" wrong.
gig.gif

No Kilsharon I think that you are on the mark!! I feed kelp(among other things) to the girls as well. You have to be careful because to much kelp could adversely flavor the eggs. Dairy is great for the chooks and manytimes I will make my own yogurt for them. Goats milk would be fabulous!!!

Thanks! I have been also fermenting my girls' feed in a water/kombucha mix. They seem to prefer that over the ACV fermented feed that I have tried on and off as well. I use very well fermented kombucha (uber-clear - 3-4 week mark). I read online (so we know it must be true) a Russian study found that animals fed feed fermented with kombucha had an increase in size of 15%. I don't know about that, but I do know they have been growing well and seem happy and healthy.
I'd love to learn of others' results as well.

I am pretty anal about my protein levels and amounts since I grind and mix my own feed.
I have a LOT of whey on a regular basis, so am considering soaking my grains in whey the night before,
and then adding my powdered premix (limestone, nutribalancer, kelp, fish meal) the next morning.
I figured this might eliminate the sorting I am getting by a few who prefer not to eat their "vitamins".

I feed 1/3 lb of ration a day to production layers, and 1/2 lb to the larger birds, of the dry ration.
Has anyone calculated how much "less" per bird per day they are feeding with soaked grains?

I prefer not to ferment as it's a much bigger commitment and I have a lot of animals.

Back
Top Bottom