Grain withdrawal period for allergies

amynrichie

Songster
7 Years
Jan 29, 2013
Nebraska Panhandle
I had an interesting question posed to me. A lady has children severely allergic to wheat and wants chickens that don't eat wheat, and very little soy, if any. Would it be better for her to raise them from chicks herself, or ok to switch feeds and discard eggs for a certain period of time?

How long would you discard the eggs?

WHAT would you feed the chickens to avoid wheat entirely? (And soy?)

Thanks for your help!

Amy

I supply a friend who is severely allergic to those things as well plus some. I feed nutrena nature wise layer pellets, and pasture, hay pumpkins and what ever. She has never had a problem and eats one to one and a half dozen per week.

Nutrena's website does not list ingredients. We are looking for a NO WHEAT diet. Outside of doing a custom grain mix, is there any that does not contain wheat?

How long would the chicken need to switch feeds before the allergy suffer could tolerate the eggs?

I did do some reading on a celiac forum and there are some folks who CAN tell what their chickens eat by how they react to the egg.

Any insight on how long to switch feeds, or how to blend a custom feed?

There's a really good thread here on BYC about making chicken food:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/847651/is-this-diet-ok-for-chickens

Lots of info!

As far as allergies, I know that in the case of a person or animal having an allergic reaction, it can take up to 6-8 weeks for symptoms to go away because allergens can still be present in the body. I would expect after that period the eggs would be safe for consumption by someone with allergies.

Back
Top Bottom