Grandma hen acts like rooster and feeds younger hens treats?

Katakornchicks

Songster
Oct 6, 2021
I have a very old hen. I dont know exactly how old because she belonged to a few different people before me, but enough that she no longer lays eggs, and even has grown spurs despite being female. She's normally quite grumpy but I noticed the other day that she started mimicking what some of the young roosters do and was making that "I have a treat" call and started feeding other hens. Anyone else seen a hen do this? I've only ever seen my roosters do it. Is this friendly grandma hen behavior or is she trying to be a Trans hen? (I will note that the other roosters mate with her regularly and she seems to like this)

As hen's age, they do go through "henopause" where their hormones reduce enough to no longer lay eggs. With such reduced estrogen production in hens, as in women, when "henopuase" hits, yup, the same kind of "male-ness" can take over as with older women...some chin whiskers, a huskier voice. Obviously this doesn't change the sex of the chicken (or the woman), however it can change mildly some physical characteristics as estrogen is no longer being produced in the abundance it once was.

So "henopause" hens will act more "rooster-ish," especially if a dominant hen.

Also keep in mind that a good broody hen will cluck to chicks to come get treats. My mother hens have a lower "cluck, cluck, cluck" when calling their chicks to food. She could also be exhibiting that behavior.

But with the background you've given, I deeply suspect "henopause" has hit the old gal.

BTW, hens can grow spurs as well as roosters. Some breeds have hens and roosters with spurs. Generally hens just don't grow as large a spur as a rooster.

LofMc

I have a very old hen. I dont know exactly how old because she belonged to a few different people before me, but enough that she no longer lays eggs, and even has grown spurs despite being female. She's normally quite grumpy but I noticed the other day that she started mimicking what some of the young roosters do and was making that "I have a treat" call and started feeding other hens. Anyone else seen a hen do this? I've only ever seen my roosters do it. Is this friendly grandma hen behavior or is she trying to be a Trans hen? (I will note that the other roosters mate with her regularly and she seems to like this)
Do you have pictures of the old gal?

Do you have pictures of the old gal?
Yeah here she is. She's a mutt. All I know is that there is some silkie in there because of extra toes, the floofy head, and the fibro skin. She's also a bantam

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220319-171329_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220319-171329_Photos.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 18
As hen's age, they do go through "henopause" where their hormones reduce enough to no longer lay eggs. With such reduced estrogen production in hens, as in women, when "henopuase" hits, yup, the same kind of "male-ness" can take over as with older women...some chin whiskers, a huskier voice. Obviously this doesn't change the sex of the chicken (or the woman), however it can change mildly some physical characteristics as estrogen is no longer being produced in the abundance it once was.

So "henopause" hens will act more "rooster-ish," especially if a dominant hen.

Also keep in mind that a good broody hen will cluck to chicks to come get treats. My mother hens have a lower "cluck, cluck, cluck" when calling their chicks to food. She could also be exhibiting that behavior.

But with the background you've given, I deeply suspect "henopause" has hit the old gal.

BTW, hens can grow spurs as well as roosters. Some breeds have hens and roosters with spurs. Generally hens just don't grow as large a spur as a rooster.

LofMc
That's very interesting! Thank you 😊

What does it mean to "tidbit" chicks?
When an often older bird gently coos to the younger or more submissive birds, often bobbing their head at a juicy morsel of food. This is often meant as a gift to the younger or more submissive birds, but sometimes it is used as a mating lure by some cockerels or roosters.

Back
Top Bottom