Grandpa feeder wet food

PoPo76

Songster
6 Years
Sep 22, 2014
Long Island, New York
Hello all,

I have recently purchased a Grandpa feeder. It works as it should for the most part but my feed is getting wet/moldy. I do not have a covered run as of yet which is what led to the purchase of said feeder. I have spoken to others that have one and they say the food stays dry in all conditions. Is mine possibly defective? Should I contact the manufacturer? Or are there any tricks to make it more water proof?
Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Hello all,

I have recently purchased a Grandpa feeder. It works as it should for the most part but my feed is getting wet/moldy. I do not have a covered run as of yet which is what led to the purchase of said feeder. I have spoken to others that have one and they say the food stays dry in all conditions. Is mine possibly defective? Should I contact the manufacturer? Or are there any tricks to make it more water proof?
Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
I don't have this feeder, but my first thought would be to inquire about your typical humidity levels in your area. Even if the food can stay technically dry in the feeder, the humidity can still get into it and cause it to mold. I had to put a dehumidifier in my garage because our feed was getting moldy, despite being off the ground in a technically dry place.

I'd contact the manufacturer, Grandpas Feeder is advertised as being weather proof. Since the run is not (currently) covered, can you make a covered feeding station of some type, to offer it some protection?

Attachments

• feeding station.JPG
    feeding station.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 16
  • feeding station b.JPG
    feeding station b.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 15
Read the negative reviews first on a product. A lot of purchasers buy a treadle feeder just to have a chicken feeder, not because they have a rodent problem, so the results get skewed on the overall rating. Ditton on keeping a feeder outside, most don't, so fewer report leaking. Always start with the negative reviews as they are the most real. It is easy enough to pick out the crazies and karens and find out if the feeder is suitable for your situation.

And yeah, grandpa feeders have a lot of reviews on leaking. You might see if one of the PVC pipes they use on each end of the treadle has split and allowed the treadle to come down catywhumpass and leave a gap that rain can get through. Also check to see if there is any corrosion on the upper back lip where the door closes. Animal feed has salt in it and the grandpa feeder tends to corrode as feed dust is deposited on the back side of the feed opening. And ammonia in a chicken coop is bad by itself for galvanized steel.

Back
Top Bottom