Grandpa's chook feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by IggiMom, Jul 26, 2010.

1. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I got the large one of these for my chickens, and it has been up and running for a while now.

It takes two weeks to teach them to use it, and it comes with instructions, which are simple, about how they will learn it.

They had no trouble learning it, and it seems to work very well.

I thought it was a little pricey, but still, it has been a real time saver and has made feeding the chickens a lot simpler. My chickens are free range, but I like to give them food free choice so there is no chance that they will go hungry. They still spend most of their time out foraging and catching bugs.

Anyway, I really like the Grandpa's Chook Feeder, and it is working out very well.

Catherine

2. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    do u have pic plz

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  4. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I notice that mine still tend to clump up and all want to eat at the same time when I am in there. I guess they think they should eat while I am there.

And also, one smallish hen managed to get herself wedged underneath it, and she died of course. I did not find her until she was quite dehydrated.

But I do not think this will happen again. It seemed like a rather freakish incident.

It has really made feeding them a breeze.

Catherine

5. 3-little-chooks

3-little-chooks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Would you recommend getting one, I've heard treadle feeders are good but I'm weighing up making one myself or buying one. [​IMG]

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    If you lose a lot of chicken feed to wild birds, it doesn't take long for a treadle feeder to pay for itself. I have two wooden ones that I made and I love them (and the chickens love them) but if I could afford it I'd have one of those Grandpa's feeders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by