Granny's gone and done it again

Morning, Lovely curtains Cap.
Bruce I dont know a thing except his blood level was good last check and we are moving on to a hematologist. I SUSPECT those abnormal veins they seen in his small intestines were bleeding and the camera just didnt catch it.
Thanks Granny, you can't find them in a store like that!

Crap H2O. It’s funny. One of my friends is all well you can get chicks locally from backyard breeders!

No. I don’t want to raise chicks and then have to euthanize them if that’s what it comes down to. I’ll stick to what I’ve got. If I have to buy eggs I buy eggs. If I get a broody I’ll let her brood but I’m not introducing outside chickens.
Yeah , I feel the Same way. I have a feeling it will get worse not better.

I made it back from shopping! Managed to resist the temptation of buying chicks. They had lots, and even polish as well as poults and ducklings. My friend got turkeys and ducklings. The truck was up to max heat to keep them warm. Phew, i was baking!
I got an 8' drive gate , and a bunch of feed. Layer Pellets were $9.99 for 50lbs. And i got a few packs of seed.
Oh, and the guy that was supposed to buy my SS pair did not show up as he was called in to work and forgot to tell me. :smack

It’s going to take time to get under control that’s for danged sure. It makes it harder when people don’t report issues, don’t comply with quarantine and cull orders and insist on still moving birds around “cause my birds aren’t sick”
Exactly. In this newest case (they are just reporting it today :() someone brought a rooster up from southern calif. We cannot move birds! Chicks from major hatcheries are the only safe thing for now. My feed store has the first chicks of the season that will be on sale tomorrow. I was talking to the chicken guy there, and he hadn't heard the newcastle made it to the Bay Area.

Wild waterfowl are huge transmitters of poultry diseases. They have better immune systems and end up being carriers. I will resist walking anywhere where wild waterfowl congregate and will bleach my shoes if one crosses my path. I love ducks, but keep away for now!

Redwood City, ca
https://www.hmbreview.com/news/roos...cle_9ea47154-4751-11e9-ad2c-d31f6d9f64ae.html
H2o, read this. If you can believe it, the infected bird from southern calif was first brought to Tracy, where a small flock has already died. The rooster was brought from Alameda to a vet in Redwood City where it was diagnosed. Who knows how much of this is true, but if it is, the disease is already in several spots up here and we are at risk of a bad outbreak. And Tracy is closer to you... :(

This is good general info for those interested.
https://www.hmbreview.com/news/roos...cle_9ea47154-4751-11e9-ad2c-d31f6d9f64ae.html

I’m not sure how feed stores are getting chicks in but some still are. Friend of mine just proudly posted that they got new chicks...

Well. All I can do is keep tabs on my flock.
I think your risk is low, but we'll keep our fingers crossed for you.
I don't think new hatched chicks that have never been outside or in contact with other birds (from large hatcheries) are a problem. The chicken guy said even during the Newcastle scare up here in 2001-ish, he was allowed to sell hatchery chicks at the feed store. I guess chicks coming into a quarantine area are not as much a problem as birds leaving quarantine.
Watch where you step!

Back
Top Bottom