Granny's gone and done it again

Camping, People on the tv today was trying to make this virus a race thing. Talking about where you live and how 70% of the people there dying is black. Now I never been there before but isnt 70% of the whole population there black? Just wondering..

New Orleans is still our most impacted area, and most of the residents are black. I think that is why the numbers may look more skewed in this case. We know that the virus didn’t care much about race in China.

Kind of is about race and kind of isn't. In certain areas, doctors are seeing a higher proportion of black covid patients needing hospitalization, more than there should be, all things being equal. It seems, for some reason, these people do not get routine, proper health care to help with things like diabetes, high bp, heart problems, and such... all the stuff that lets the virus attack ferociously. Why they are not getting regular care on par with other racial groups is the big question. Seems Hispanic patients are in a similar way. Lack of money, mistrust of the system, historic poor treatment, language barriers... lot of things to consider, but the fact that they don't receive regular health care means their chances of dying from the virus are much higher and so the death percentages are shockingly high.

This is the best answer. I would wager it’s more of a class than race thing— the working poor can’t afford preventative medicine and do not get routine care. New Orleans is a city of bars and buskers. The average citizen wouldn’t go to the doctor for a cough or fever, and by the time they realized it was something worse they had already infected countless others.

Black culture also involves multi-generational living situations more often than white culture. The higher death rates could be older relatives in the home. We won’t have any real data to prove anything for quite some time.

Here are our highest cases by parish, and then a map of where those parishes are. Nearly half of the cases are in Orleans and Jefferson parishes, which I colored pink. The fourth highest is Caddo Parish, which I colored green. The black star is where I live.
B86E6451-097D-4A5B-89FD-3BCFB96F95C3.png

69AFC0BC-EE04-4F14-BA91-C52964095B01.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom