Granny's gone and done it again

No her irises are still orange-ish... it is the pupil that is an opaque grey or whitish, giving her a dead look, and on closer inspection it isn't completely round. There is no paralysis.... I think she can see a little bit, but not clearly. In these pics, the pupil is not reflecting anything. The pics were taken in natural afternoon day light. She is molting and not taking very good care of herself. Not preening or dustbathing. She bumps into the other birds if not isolated and gets pecked, then self-isolates. I feel sad for her. She just seems lost, puzzled, bewildered. @azygous has suggested saline eye wash and antibiotic eye ointment (will be using neosporin original formula), which I will try for a while. Just wish I had a dx! The other chickens'eyes have a bright, glossy black pupil, not like hers at all. She looks like a zombie, my poor little Undead chicken. 😔

View attachment 2342462

View attachment 2342462View attachment 2342464

View attachment 2342465
Whoever said cataracts wins a cigar. I had my retired eye doc husband look at the pics and he said bilateral cataracts. Yes, she is blind. May have a bit of vision but not much.

Who knows how they happened. Maybe injury maybe congenital maybe from an infection. I have a brain dead rooster who decided to fight with somebody bigger and tougher than he is...which doesn't take much. He completely lost the eye in the resulting infection. For a month I was squirting penicillin down him and treating the damaged eye socket. It finally resolved but I have every reason to believe that his remaining eye has poor vision in it. He has a terrible time finding his food and water dish. I have to supervise him eating and drinking and make sure the bowls stay right in front of him. He is a sweet boy though and we have been through a lot of chicken care together so he's my pet.

Morning everyone. Just finished giving Diesel his morning walk. We saw a deer so game on. He was sure he needed to chase it. I was more certain he wasn't going to so we both got a work out. 30 minutes of him looking for that darned deer.

Thank you @CapricornFarm. Things seem to have settled down at least for the time being. But I know it's still lurking around.

Whoever said cataracts wins a cigar. I had my retired eye doc husband look at the pics and he said bilateral cataracts. Yes, she is blind. May have a bit of vision but not much.

Who knows how they happened. Maybe injury maybe congenital maybe from an infection. I have a brain dead rooster who decided to fight with somebody bigger and tougher than he is...which doesn't take much. He completely lost the eye in the resulting infection. For a month I was squirting penicillin down him and treating the damaged eye socket. It finally resolved but I have every reason to believe that his remaining eye has poor vision in it. He has a terrible time finding his food and water dish. I have to supervise him eating and drinking and make sure the bowls stay right in front of him. He is a sweet boy though and we have been through a lot of chicken care together so he's my pet.

Morning everyone. Just finished giving Diesel his morning walk. We saw a deer so game on. He was sure he needed to chase it. I was more certain he wasn't going to so we both got a work out. 30 minutes of him looking for that darned deer.

Thank you @CapricornFarm. Things seem to have settled down at least for the time being. But I know it's still lurking around.
3 of us did w/ you being #4. I didnt know they can be congenital.
Micro, I have an eye question if its ok?

Granny, here's the little Black Copper Marans you wanted to hug and cuddle with! The one in my avatar pic.
Mara.JPG

Mara2.JPG

But I don't smoke cigars, Lol! How about some chocolate?

Back
Top Bottom