Granny's gone and done it again

Cool! Timing is everything. Be sure you say Good Girl when she is NOT acting apprehensive, but is acting neutral, confident or friendly, or after the other dog has left, assuming it was an uneventful encounter. Often, just being quiet and neutral yourself is good, so the two dogs can just encounter each other without distracting input from the humans. Praising afterward, to let her know she did well, can be very reinforcing.

My feeling about treats is that they are totally unnecessary. The best treats in the world to your dog are: your Praise Phrase, your Happy Face, and above all, Your Loving Hands. I call these three the Praise Value Menu. You always have them with you! Just say Good Boy (or Girl) and watch your dog light up. Give him eye contact and a big, toothy smile and see how happy he is. Get hands on him and ruffle his ears for a second and he'll be ecstatic! Happiest dog in the world!

No need for treats. They're just a distraction. The pet stores promote training with treats because they are a money-maker for them, not because they work.

Try telling Curly Sue that. Or any yak, treats can't be beat in their opinion. And mine if I am honest. But for dogs very rarely.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom