Granny's gone and done it again

Oh, hell no! Sorry, pardon my language. My dogs are absolutely reliable with the chickens. A neighbor's two Brittany spaniels came on to our property last week and got hold of two hens. My GirlChild heard them screaming and The Man and our dogs ran out there and rescued them and chased the dogs away. We thought they killed two of them, there were two big piles of feathers and not a bird in sight. But they all straggled in to roost at bed time and seemed fine. The owners came over and apologized and offered to pay for any losses, but at that time we thought they were all fine. About five days later this one turned out to be injured with the beginnings of fly strike, but we caught it in time. And no, I didn't post ut on Prayer Warriors.
How about the other hen? Is she okay?

Sadly, I am dealing with flystrike as well...

Due to the heat, one of the hens has been getting wetter poops. I have been trying to wash her butt often, but havent for 2-3 days already. Today I noticed she was acting odd, and sure enough, she had maggots. Maggots are awful! I really hope she makes it, but they got quite deep already... 😞
your supposed to pick them out. I just told Blue if mine had ever gotten them I couldnt do it.

your supposed to pick them out. I just told Blue if mine had ever gotten them I couldnt do it.
We have already done the "deed". First started with cutting her feathers on her butt, soaked her in dish soap water, picked out the other maggots that we could see, dried her, and seperated her into a fly proof crate. Going to repeat tommorrow....🤞

Sadly, I am dealing with flystrike as well...

Due to the heat, one of the hens has been getting wetter poops. I have been trying to wash her butt often, but havent for 2-3 days already. Today I noticed she was acting odd, and sure enough, she had maggots. Maggots are awful! I really hope she makes it, but they got quite deep already... 😞
Ugh, sorry to hear.

Back
Top Bottom