Granny's gone and done it again

The community north of 156 is much different from the one to the south where we are. The community around us lost about half of the residents due to some conflict with the local Bishop. Couldn't get anyone to tell us what it was but the father of the family we bought our farm from was one of the community 'elders?' and he left the community when Ervin, (the man we bought our farm from) and his family left.

I know the community to the north has immaculate houses and grounds, they are allowed to use ATVs (just saw an Amish guy tending his fences using one). I think some use cell phones for their businesses. It's just different than the community we live in the middle of.

Maybe your wife's niece and family can inject a bit of fresh air into the community. I know there hasn't been a lot of new faces around for a long time.
Such a wide variety could be a bit confusing.
@microchick Keep your eyes wide open for some serious sexual abuse from that community, those problems tend to be quite prevalent among that type of amish. My mom grew up in a community similar to the ones you live amoungst and her dad sexually abused all 5 of his daughters. He was never properly punished for his wrong doing, basically just a slap on the back of the hand and told to stop doing it. Come to find out in later years, the same people that were responsible for "punishing that behavior" were sexually involved with their own daughters as well, so why would they "punish" him. That type of abuse usually follows them for the rest of their life. My mother still won't discuss certain things because of the trauma it caused her.

The Amish puppy mills are the worse. I don’t like the way they treat their animals.
Some people buy from the puppy mills in order "rescue" the puppies. That plays right into encouraging more puppy milling. The ones that do the puppy mills catch on pretty quick concerning the people that "rescue" from the puppy mills and will intentionally target those potential buyers.
The good part is that there are communities that will not allow their members to have more than two breeding females at any given time, or else they are simply not allowed to do any puppy milling. They have my respect for that.

I'm so excited! I do have BVD. Binocular Vision Disorder. Went to a Neuro Optometrist and got tested after having had my regular eye Dr. do a test with his machine telling me that yes I have it. The Neuro doc does more extensive testing, adjusts some glasses they have there, and just like that it happened. I had heard that it works well for some right off the bat, but didn't have my hopes up because I knew it could take a while, but they worked right away. I cried. Yes I did. I walked down his hallway and turned quickly to test them. I didn't have to hold on to the wall! I said to him..no way..I kept saying it .. no way. I didn't pick out frames there because they didn't have much to choose from. I need a real light pair because heavier ones give me headaches. Going to Walmart to pick some out and take them back to his office. It will only take about 10 days to get them, bi focals. I'm so happy. I'm still woozy, but oh man, I feel so much more..grounded.
Wonderful news, Cynthia! So happy for you. :hugs

I'm so excited! I do have BVD. Binocular Vision Disorder. Went to a Neuro Optometrist and got tested after having had my regular eye Dr. do a test with his machine telling me that yes I have it. The Neuro doc does more extensive testing, adjusts some glasses they have there, and just like that it happened. I had heard that it works well for some right off the bat, but didn't have my hopes up because I knew it could take a while, but they worked right away. I cried. Yes I did. I walked down his hallway and turned quickly to test them. I didn't have to hold on to the wall! I said to him..no way..I kept saying it .. no way. I didn't pick out frames there because they didn't have much to choose from. I need a real light pair because heavier ones give me headaches. Going to Walmart to pick some out and take them back to his office. It will only take about 10 days to get them, bi focals. I'm so happy. I'm still woozy, but oh man, I feel so much more..grounded.
Great news Cynthia, about time huh?

I watched a movie a couple weeks ago concerning the sexual abuse @troyer . Based on a true story. It was disturbing to say the least. Did your mom leave the church? Were you shunned for leaving? I hope everyone of the abusers burn in hell.
They will certainly be recompensed according to the things they have done, no question about that!
My mom is still amish.
We are shunned in various degrees depending on where the siblings live and what's expected of them.
I have three siblings that have left the lifestyle. One brother and two brother-in-laws are ordained ministers in the amish communities.
Overall the rest of my siblings are either friendly or as the very least civil to us.

Back
Top Bottom