Granny's gone and done it again

Neighbor knocked on our door. Said they found a small chicken in their yard... did we lose one? I said no, but we'll take a look. #1 went over with me. He's always ready to take in a new chicken.
Well, it was a domestic quail, probably Coturnix. I didn't want to take in a quail, so we set them up with a cage, bedding, and wild birdseed, and told them if they didn't find the owners, they could take it to the feed store, who will take it in and sell it. They have 2 kids around 12, and the daughter was all ready to take care of the quail. Very sweet family. The quail is in good hands.
that was sweet of you and your son. Wonder if it was hard to catch?

I remember back in the 70's I could fill my cart half full at the grocery store for 20 bucks. If course wages were a lot lower then......In the year 1973, the United States minimum wage was $1.60. This is equivalent to $10.50 in 2022 dollars......It was great that my husband was making close to 3 an hr. It only cost 300 dollars to have our first baby. Whew, crazy changes. My kids are now making 18 and over an hr. Working from home!
I remember my mother feeding a family of 4 with two growing children for 35-45 dollars a week. Can also remember my mom sending me up to the grocery store in 1960 on my bike with 50 cents to buy a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread. I got to keep the nickel change for running the errand.

When I got out of nurses training I was making 7.45 an hour to work as a maternity ward scrub nurse. Checkers at the local Krogers were making almost 15. What's wrong with that picture? When I was working as second shift charge at a 165 bed rehab and living center, the ER nurses at the local hospital one night asked me how much I was making an hour. I was making 18 and change at the time. They were making 15. They were PO'ed. I told them we were always looking for good nurses. I heard, 'oh we could never do your job!' I laughed and said. ' I couldn't do theirs either so I guess we were both stuck where we were'.

Lazy day here today. Worked hard yesterday. Crazy hard so I gave myself the day off. No regrets.

I remember my mother feeding a family of 4 with two growing children for 35-45 dollars a week. Can also remember my mom sending me up to the grocery store in 1960 on my bike with 50 cents to buy a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread. I got to keep the nickel change for running the errand.

When I got out of nurses training I was making 7.45 an hour to work as a maternity ward scrub nurse. Checkers at the local Krogers were making almost 15. What's wrong with that picture? When I was working as second shift charge at a 165 bed rehab and living center, the ER nurses at the local hospital one night asked me how much I was making an hour. I was making 18 and change at the time. They were making 15. They were PO'ed. I told them we were always looking for good nurses. I heard, 'oh we could never do your job!' I laughed and said. ' I couldn't do theirs either so I guess we were both stuck where we were'.

Lazy day here today. Worked hard yesterday. Crazy hard so I gave myself the day off. No regrets.
I never knew what grocerys were growing up but we had a hot meal every night with meat like roasts and such. We dont have that today. I didnt buy any meat today. $325. wont last a week.

Good evening!
I noticed/saw several hundred swans this afternoon migrating. Flocks of 25-55 in each. They were very high being close to the bottom of the clouds and going through the lowest few clouds. They were making a slightly whistling sound and then also the sound of their wings flying. I was surprised to hear them because of how high they were. I was also surprised that they hadn't gone south before now.
I bet that was quite the sight!

Back
Top Bottom