Granny's gone and done it again

I don't think I've lost a bird for about 5 years now to anything I can say for sure is Marek's. I have been attempting to breed for resistance for over 4 years using local resistant stock, vaccinated bantams and Egyptian Fayoumis.

Most of my birds have died at 18 months, the youngest at 9 weeks and then some averaged one year at the youngest. I haven't lost any birds to MD over the age of 2. Right now my oldest birds are 6 yrs and younger. My youngest were hatched in this past spring.

I never had a necropsy done for a diagnosis. I was lucky if you want to put it that way, to have a few birds present with ocular Marek's. My husband got his hand held microscope out that he used to use on patients in nursing homes and checked the eyes on those birds and gave me the diagnosis of ocular herpes which (herpes) equals Marek's disease. I was ready to send a bird to MIZZOU's veterinary college for necropsy but after that didn't see the need to spend the money when I already knew that my birds had ocular MD.

Most of my birds died from tumors, the worst one was a beautiful and sweet rooster who had developed rapidly growing growths in his throat. But I did lose some to neurological as well as ocular MD.
In calif our backyard necropsy were free. But now they cost 20 bucks. I donā€™t do them anymore but I was glad to see my birds were free of salmonella and many other cooties.

In calif our backyard necropsy were free. But now they cost 20 bucks. I donā€™t do them anymore but I was glad to see my birds were free of salmonella and many other cooties.
I was quoted about 175 for full necropsy and lab pathology 6 years ago from the MIZZOU veterinary school. Hate to think what it would be today.:eek:

@Granny Hatchet look at this whole thing like how you peel potatoes.

So how DO you peel potatoes? One potato at a time. That is how you deal with what is ahead. One problem at a time. Get done with one and then face the next. Trying to look at the big picture now will make you stress out more than they are stressing you out already.

Hubby got busy in the studio and had a coat of yellow on all the walls! I got busy touching up places that needed more paint, both white and yellow. Shortly before supper time i used all the yellow, so i went and built a holder for another goat feeding bin. The kids have been in one stall, and can't get all of their heads in one bin. So tonight there will be two bins in there.

Art studio looking better!
20221207_161805.jpg

Back
Top Bottom