Granny's gone and done it again

So I have a hen, a Black Australorp, that was sitting down to eat the scratch and other treats I toss out every afternoon, as though her feet hurt. We brought her into the house assuming she needed treated for bumblefoot. Soaked her in Epsom salts for about 25 min then looked at her feet. Surprise, no bumbles. Soles of feet were soft, pink and poofy. In other words, pretty healthy looking. Treated them anyway. Sprayed with some stuff that fizzed a bit like hydrogen peroxide, put pads on with honey, wrapped her good. Put her in dog crate behind couch.

Noticed she really had a bad odor. Diarrhea, how to describe? No pics. Clear watery liquid but also quantities of soft gloppy poop of normal brown and white. Puppy pads lining the crate about half saturated by noon. She's been eating and drinking, 22% meat bird crumbles (because everyone was molting and my store didn't have feather fixer), and enjoyed the little bit of afternoon treats (scratch, BOSS, dried mealworms).

Since she didn't appear to have BF we looked more carefully and realized her legs looked awful. Coated them with Vaseline for leg mites and examined all the other birds. They look fine. Her legs look really white and shingled. It's a puzzler. Examined her more thoroughly. She's skinny and ... this is weird. I couldn't really find her crop this evening. If I felt anything it seemed to be on her left... she's eating, but not a lot. I couldn't feel anything like an egg, I'm pretty sure she's not in lay, I'm only getting 2 eggs a day. I think the clearish liquid diarrhea had a greenish tinge. I think she's sick but am at a loss. She acts "okay," just sits most of the day. Weak, I think. Lets us handle her without much fuss. Ideas?

I get $94.00 a month because Im married to Tom. If we divorced or something happened to him then I would get 80% of what he is drawing now.
You'd think our Congressmen would realize married women need Medicare too. And maybe a decent income because a husband's SS is not enough for a household of two. The Man is still working because we still have two dependants and there is no way we could make ends meet on his SS. I get less than $400 SS myself because like many another woman of my generation, I chose to mostly stay home and raise my kids instead of getting a job to earn money to pay some stranger to raise them for me.

Back
Top Bottom