Granny's gone and done it again

So I have a hen, a Black Australorp, that was sitting down to eat the scratch and other treats I toss out every afternoon, as though her feet hurt. We brought her into the house assuming she needed treated for bumblefoot. Soaked her in Epsom salts for about 25 min then looked at her feet. Surprise, no bumbles. Soles of feet were soft, pink and poofy. In other words, pretty healthy looking. Treated them anyway. Sprayed with some stuff that fizzed a bit like hydrogen peroxide, put pads on with honey, wrapped her good. Put her in dog crate behind couch.

Noticed she really had a bad odor. Diarrhea, how to describe? No pics. Clear watery liquid but also quantities of soft gloppy poop of normal brown and white. Puppy pads lining the crate about half saturated by noon. She's been eating and drinking, 22% meat bird crumbles (because everyone was molting and my store didn't have feather fixer), and enjoyed the little bit of afternoon treats (scratch, BOSS, dried mealworms).

Since she didn't appear to have BF we looked more carefully and realized her legs looked awful. Coated them with Vaseline for leg mites and examined all the other birds. They look fine. Her legs look really white and shingled. It's a puzzler. Examined her more thoroughly. She's skinny and ... this is weird. I couldn't really find her crop this evening. If I felt anything it seemed to be on her left... she's eating, but not a lot. I couldn't feel anything like an egg, I'm pretty sure she's not in lay, I'm only getting 2 eggs a day. I think the clearish liquid diarrhea had a greenish tinge. I think she's sick but am at a loss. She acts "okay," just sits most of the day. Weak, I think. Lets us handle her without much fuss. Ideas?
Stinky greenish liquid stools could be something like sour crop. The first thing I try with that is to feed plain yogurt with the active cultures. Force feed if needed. (No sugar in the yogurt because the sugar will feed the yeast/bad bacteria.) Stop feeding solid grains until she's better, it just makes it worse. There's a lot more to try... you should look it up (some people use Monistat). Green stool means the bird is wasting, so sounds like you caught it in time. Keep her separated until her digestion is back to normal.

Last edited:
Morning all!

I've used Monostat for crop issues. Poor baby. I hate it when they are sick and you cannot figure out which direction to attack the problem. It pretty much sounds like how my rooster and hen presented this past summer except mine wouldn't eat so I'll be following to see how your hen turns out, Blue.

Any chance it's a parasite problem?

So I have a hen, a Black Australorp, that was sitting down to eat the scratch and other treats I toss out every afternoon, as though her feet hurt. We brought her into the house assuming she needed treated for bumblefoot. Soaked her in Epsom salts for about 25 min then looked at her feet. Surprise, no bumbles. Soles of feet were soft, pink and poofy. In other words, pretty healthy looking. Treated them anyway. Sprayed with some stuff that fizzed a bit like hydrogen peroxide, put pads on with honey, wrapped her good. Put her in dog crate behind couch.

Noticed she really had a bad odor. Diarrhea, how to describe? No pics. Clear watery liquid but also quantities of soft gloppy poop of normal brown and white. Puppy pads lining the crate about half saturated by noon. She's been eating and drinking, 22% meat bird crumbles (because everyone was molting and my store didn't have feather fixer), and enjoyed the little bit of afternoon treats (scratch, BOSS, dried mealworms).

Since she didn't appear to have BF we looked more carefully and realized her legs looked awful. Coated them with Vaseline for leg mites and examined all the other birds. They look fine. Her legs look really white and shingled. It's a puzzler. Examined her more thoroughly. She's skinny and ... this is weird. I couldn't really find her crop this evening. If I felt anything it seemed to be on her left... she's eating, but not a lot. I couldn't feel anything like an egg, I'm pretty sure she's not in lay, I'm only getting 2 eggs a day. I think the clearish liquid diarrhea had a greenish tinge. I think she's sick but am at a loss. She acts "okay," just sits most of the day. Weak, I think. Lets us handle her without much fuss. Ideas?
Green stool is an indication of a bacterial infection i believe. I would suggest feeding her cooked eggs, and see what you can find to treat her.

No sun here for a few days now.
Nancy took me to eat. It was the yum then came home and got the cards done. She soaks Toms feet and shampoos his hair too. Did the dishes, cleaned the bathroom and told me she called her work and will be picking me back up the first of the year for 6 hrs a week.
mickey mouse happy dance GIF by hoppip

I talked to Kevin, He sounded a little better. He has the flu. not the stomach flu but the flu flu (his dr said) :rolleyes: Said he is sleeping 14 hrs a day. I asked him how much water he is drinking and he said dr told him to drink gatoraid. I told him that was ok while he was fevered but now its time for water. He said he would.
He also said he will help Robert around the house if/when I have surgery.

No sun here for a few days now.
Nancy took me to eat. It was the yum then came home and got the cards done. She soaks Toms feet and shampoos his hair too. Did the dishes, cleaned the bathroom and told me she called her work and will be picking me back up the first of the year for 6 hrs a week.
mickey mouse happy dance GIF by hoppip
That is good news

Back
Top Bottom