Granny's gone and done it again

why do you call them "discard"??
When you feed your starter (flour and water), you're supposed to discard half of it first. Otherwise you will soon end up with gallons of starter, and you only need about half a cup of it. You can feed the discard to your chickens, or (I think) send it down to your septic system, or just toss it... OR you can cook with it! Make bagels, cookies, donuts, pancakes, biscuits, cakes, whatever. So I did.

When you feed your starter (flour and water), you're supposed to discard half of it first. Otherwise you will soon end up with gallons of starter, and you only need about half a cup of it. You can feed the discard to your chickens, or (I think) send it down to your septic system, or just toss it... OR you can cook with it! Make bagels, cookies, donuts, pancakes, biscuits, cakes, whatever. So I did.
Man that sounds like a lot of work!

so it's like amish friendship bread or "herman"

Man that sounds like a lot of work!
It's not. You can feed it once a week and keep it in the fridge. Or if you do a lot of baking, as I plan to, you can feed it daily. It's no harder than feeding a cat, dog or goldfish. I actually really enjoy it. I've named mine Frodo. He's very bubbly and friendly.

It's not. You can feed it once a week and keep it in the fridge. Or if you do a lot of baking, as I plan to, you can feed it daily. It's no harder than feeding a cat, dog or goldfish. I actually really enjoy it. I've named mine Frodo. He's very bubbly and friendly.
LOL You feed your dough? I dont know a thing about it but sounds like its for the more experienced baker.

Back
Top Bottom